Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!! >

Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM

not that bad thankfully but i have learned to ALWAYS set the timer for a few minutes to remind me to go back and check
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Almost boiled my eggs dry. Fortunately my dog is a better cook than I am. He barked at the funny rumbling noise they were making.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM

So EZ to do. I set the timer, but if I am in my sewing room with the TV going I can't hear it, so I do understand what you are saying, been there and done that.

If I sit in my recliner after I have been sewing most of the day, I find myself falling a sleep and having something on the stove or in the oven is bad news.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Ooops, so sorry about your stove - can you claim on insurance for a replacement?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM

I did that once boiling water. Put water on for oatmeal and went to get ready for school. When I came back down the pot had boiled dry. When I lifted the pot off the burner the bottom of the pot stayed right there on the element! Had to wait for the element to cool before I could pry the pot bottom off with a knife. Lol!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM

"I just read in a magazine to turn off the stove when it boils "

Good idea, don't know why I haven't thought of it because that's the way I cook macaroni. My DH's Aunt showed me that way many years ago. Of course, being Italian and having cooked macaroni by boiling it since I was about 8 years old , I didn't believe her. Well it works, let spaghetti stand in the pot for about 8 min, thicker cuts should stay longer, then you drain and enjoy with whatever sauce you have.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
"I just read in a magazine to turn off the stove when it boils "

Good idea, don't know why I haven't thought of it because that's the way I cook macaroni. My DH's Aunt showed me that way many years ago. Of course, being Italian and having cooked macaroni by boiling it since I was about 8 years old , I didn't believe her. Well it works, let spaghetti stand in the pot for about 8 min, thicker cuts should stay longer, then you drain and enjoy with whatever sauce you have.
this is the way we cook pasta as well. And we are 3/4 Italian (DH all and me half)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM

I just read in a magazine to turn off the stove when it boils and it also said how long to leave them set for each size egg. Appx 12-20 min. for small to jumbo.[/quote]

I just read this tip on the net ( 18min.). They said to do this and no black mark around the yolk. It works.

:D
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM

I put eggs on the stove to boil, got distracted with either a child or a sewing project; heard a loud noise, went to kitchen and pot had boiled dry, burned and eggs had exploded all over kitchen....had egg yolks in strippling in ceiling, egg shells everywhere !

ANOTHER time I had fresh turnip greens in a pressure cooker, again, got distracted, pressure cooker exploded and I had turnip greens all over kitchen, hanging on curtains, stuck to window, even on top of fridge !

Sorry to hear about your boo boo but understand. Hope your stove top is not damaged.

Have a friend whose newly wed daughter put eggs in mircrowave in the shell.....eggs exploded and blew door off microwave !
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I have to set the timer before I wander away from my cooking projects.