Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did your Mom bake growing up?? >

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM

My mom didn't bake every day, or every week, but pretty regularly, and taught us how. I remember making a lot of muffins and cookies for 4-H, and once in awhile we had a real treat when she would make homemade bread.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM

actually My Dad was the baker and the better cook. He owned a pie shop when I was a toddler. He made bread too. then He would call me and DH up to come eat some of his hot bread. Oh my, that accounts for my weight problem. Mom just didn't care to try.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

i can still smell my mom's bread and donuts made on that old coal stove til this day. Oh the memories.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM

She made biscuits & cornbread fresh everyday & when I was small she made tea cakes, then later on Cottage Cheese Pie, both of which I can't find the right recipes because the tea cakes she just did from memory & our Milk Man gave the CC Pie recipe with the trying of Cottage Cheese. That's when the Milk Man delivered fresh Milk, real Orange juice & Orange Aide drinks, & CC to our door twice a week. Yummy because nothing was fat free back then.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

My mom baked alot at christmas.she made the best banana cake,which my daughter tries to get it like moms for the last 21 years. fresh coconut cake that my dad would drain the coconut milk and peel away the shell fo her. and her jam cake. there were others but these were the special ones. SURE MISS HER.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM

my mom baked two pies every saturday morning - eiher raisin or cherry. sometimes she baked blackberry jam cakes and/or ginger bread. in her later years she was the queen of pumpkin bread. my dd took one of her loaves of pumpkin bread and entered it in the county fair - it won a best of show ribbon. they said it had been a long time since they had bread without holes. mother was a sticker when it came to cooking. measured EVERYTHING - i don't.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Just came to me why my mother didn't bake, we lived 1 and a half blocks from California Pie bakery, they provided baked goods to restaurants. So why bake when you could buy broken pies for 25 cents and a huge layer cake for 75 cents. They make the best pineapple cheese pie, we even paid full price for it. Never came upon a recipe matching it, layer of pineapple filling on the bottom and moist cheesecake on top, yummy! When they were baking the apple pies the whole neighborhood smelt wonderful. May in Jersey
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM

My mom liked to bake, but didn't have much time for it. My younger sister became gravely ill at age 9 with a deadly blood disease. When she did get to come home, mom had to get a job to help keep the house & pay bills. On weekends she would make cakes, cookies, and pies. There just wasnt enough time to make bread.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM

We lived on a farm and my Mom baked all the time, biscuits every morning and she always made sugar cookies, jam cakes and all sorts of things. What I loved the most was her wonderful Nut Rolls, wish I could make them.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM

My mother baked bread, cakes, cookies and pies - until I was old enough for her to turn that task over to me. I started baking at 12.