Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did your Mom bake growing up??

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My Mom baked every single day when we were growing up, with the exception of weekends. Like a typical kid I wanted what my friends had in their lunches- store bought. I traded her goodies for Oreos etc. I look back on it and laugh at myself now but can't imagine I did that!!
    She passed her love of baking on to me. I'm going to see her in a few days and won't trade her goodies for anything! YUMMY :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    My mom baked every week. Just thinking about fresh baked bread and biscuits makes my mouth water. Unfortunately, I have never been able to bake like she did. That's probably a good thing or I would weigh a ton.

My mom baked almost all of our baked goods when I was a kid. She baked bread once a week, every week and then she also made cakes and cookies on occasion.

She bakes store-bought frozen pies, does that count? LOL

My mom baked the best coconut cakes. She also baked a good pound cake. She usually make 2, because Daddy loved hot pound cake with a cup of coffee. Still my favorite is hot pound cake and the memories.
    My daughter and grandaughter have the talent for good cakes.
    These genes are past down the line.

Oh yes. I can just dream of homemade bread right now.

Funny! I was just talking with a senior neighbor yesterday. Neither of us could remember having store bought baked goods when we were young.

Blog Entries
    oh yes, my mom baked every week. Bread, biscuits, cookies, pies, cakes, etc., etcs.......hmmmmmmm

My mom baked a lot of cookies, cakes, pies, bread, biscuits. I can't remember anything baked that we purchased ready made.

My Mom baked alot of cookies and cakes, mostly boxed stuff. My Dad loved to make HM bread, and he made it almost every weekend. It was SO good!

Mine didn't bake except on special occasions. I was an only, and she would rather play with me than do anything in the house! She was the youngest of ten. When she did bake, it was delicious. Especially her pound cake. She taught me how to make biscuits when I was about 10, and my college professor asked me how I made them! I changed my major the next quarter!

I really only remember my mom baking banana bread--she cooked for us but the kitchen wasn't where she wanted to be. My Gran, however, is an awesome cook and baker and always had something in the oven. My favorites are her cinnamon rolls, biscuits and cornbread. Oh, and the poundcake...everything is great!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Okay everyone, I didn't ask WHAT they baked! You're making me way too hungry !! LOL :D:D

It skipped a generation with my mom, but now I love to cook and baking is my favorite!! It's been so hot here that I haven't used to oven much recently, though.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    My mom NEVER baked. That is not exactly true if it snowed she would bake 1 batch of sugar cookies. Not everytime it snowed I mean big blizzard stay home form school snow. If we didn;t have a snow day that year we didn't have home baked cookies. Now I on the other hand bake all the time. I make bread all my hand no bread machine or even mixer at least twice a week. Then there is cookies, cakes and pies. Right now I am wait for cinnamon bugs and carnberry orange buns to come out of the oven. I bake and I bake a lot. Mom didn't sew or quilt either. Come to think of it my mom did NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! I never wanted to be like her and thank God I am not. I am like the woman who is so near and dear to my heart. The woman who taught me to cook, bake and sew, I am who I am because of her. THANK YOU MA SCHECH!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    My Mother never baked anything in her life, as far as I know. From New Orleans and a fabulous cook.
    She did take a 2+ hour subway roundtrip during Easter season to buy the Hot Cross buns my Father liked.

My mom was known as the Betty Crocker of the neighborhood.

So yes she did bake.

My Mom was & is the Queen of the kitchen. She always made everything from scratch and we always had baked desserts. She can still make the best pies in the world. She really loves to be in the kitchen and is in there everyday cooking up a storm for her & Dad. I did not inherit that passion for cooking or baking. I do it, but I had much rather be doing other things. And my pies are not fit to eat. Cakes, breads I can do.

I even baked when my kids were little. I made all of our bread from scratch, by hand every week. I still bake cookies and cake from scratch once in a while for hubby and me.

My mom didn't but I have learned all my baking skills from my grandma.

Yep she did an assortment then would throw in somthing that just.............................................. .................................................. ..........................sounded good (sorry for the delay had to go get a cookie !! :)

I can't remember her ever really baking. Maybe a cake from a mix on rare occasions, but usually she bought baked goods. We had a variety of great Jewish bakeries and bagel factories to choose from in the Detroit area, and then there was Sanders and even the regular grocery had really good cakes and breads in those days, so there really wasn't much need for her to bake.

Blog Entries
    Mom baked a lot when we were at home. She taught me how and turned me lose. I made a pound cake for my brothers and his friends, they ate the whole thing so I doubled it and they ate the whole thing. Then I thought I can do this pretty!!! I made it three times and in a 5 quart baking pan and put red food coloring on top and swirled it, they ate the whole thing. Of course you made your icing from powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and a little milk. I do not how many weeks, yes weeks Mom let me bake that three times pound cake. I look at the prices of eggs and the such now and butter and it must have cost her a fortune. I need to get that recipe and make one for my DB when we see him this winter in Texas.

Linda

With 9 of us I think she baked in her sleep !!!!

Blog Entries
    We had a baaaad oven that was very temperamental. The cakes would either burn or fall. Not fun. When we got a new stove with a glass door, my little brother told Mom that she would now be able to watch the cake burn. lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast