Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did your Mom bake growing up?? >

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Yep she did an assortment then would throw in somthing that just.............................................. .................................................. ..........................sounded good (sorry for the delay had to go get a cookie !! :)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM

I can't remember her ever really baking. Maybe a cake from a mix on rare occasions, but usually she bought baked goods. We had a variety of great Jewish bakeries and bagel factories to choose from in the Detroit area, and then there was Sanders and even the regular grocery had really good cakes and breads in those days, so there really wasn't much need for her to bake.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Mom baked a lot when we were at home. She taught me how and turned me lose. I made a pound cake for my brothers and his friends, they ate the whole thing so I doubled it and they ate the whole thing. Then I thought I can do this pretty!!! I made it three times and in a 5 quart baking pan and put red food coloring on top and swirled it, they ate the whole thing. Of course you made your icing from powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and a little milk. I do not how many weeks, yes weeks Mom let me bake that three times pound cake. I look at the prices of eggs and the such now and butter and it must have cost her a fortune. I need to get that recipe and make one for my DB when we see him this winter in Texas.

Linda
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM

With 9 of us I think she baked in her sleep !!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

We had a baaaad oven that was very temperamental. The cakes would either burn or fall. Not fun. When we got a new stove with a glass door, my little brother told Mom that she would now be able to watch the cake burn. lol
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM

I was raised by my dad. He loved to bake pies and enchiladas.

lol @ Martina's story.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Oh yes!! My mother baked cornbread and biscuits a lot. She also made wonderful pies and cakes.I don't remember her making cookies too much.
I did a lot of baking when my kids were growing up. These days I don't bake a lot. My DH is diabetic so mostly I bake for family get togethers, company or holidays. I do bake bread, make biscuits and cornbread!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Actually we were just talking about this today. My Mother was the best cook ever. Every day when we came home there would be a spice cake, a pie, tapioca or rice pudding, sour cream cake, soft sugar to eat over cake or any number of yummy desserts. She was French Canadian and she could cook. I miss her cooking so much.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM

My mom baked almost daily. I can remember walking home from school and getting about a block away and smelling breads and cinnamon rolls. Needless to say we ran the rest of the way home. I always wished I had taken the time to learn all the tricks of baking, I love to bake, but never think I am that great.
@trupeach...I will be right over..yummmmy!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM

My mother baked until she started to work, then she told me to bake, so I did and i am still baking. lol