Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did your Mom bake growing up?? >

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

My mother could burn water...she hates to be in the kitchen and her idea of lunch is a jam (jelly) sandwich and a mug of tea. She loves her garden, can lay bricks, fix tile and has even repointed her roof. Mum is an accomplished seamstress, knitter and crochets beautifully, she also used to draw and paint.

Soon as I could read a recipe and reach the kitchen equipment I was off and running. I love to bake, make bread and am a pretty competent cook. Matter of survival I guess....
Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 PM

My mom made a cake/pie or some dessert once a week. She worked full time, so wasn't home all day, but that's ok, she made WONDERFUL yummies. On holidays and birthdays, she would make specialty cakes. One year I remember a doll cake she made. She decorated a doll torso and the bottom/skirt was the cake. Was gorgeous! In the winter, she would make a skating cake, using alum foil for the skating rink and put in a mountain, which was the cake. She'd make trains, cars, trucks, all sorts of things. She never took a class, she would just see the pictures in magazines and go from there.
Dang I miss her!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM

My mom baked quite often - never bread, but cakes, pies, cookies and cooked very well. I have baked from the beginning of our marriage - when my oldest went to school she just about died - nothing homemade there!! She said I spoiled them... I have - we have fresh homemade bread almost every day... my youngest has made our last two homemade chocolate cakes and homemade icing - he's a natural. I made biscuits not too long ago - our middle son said, "it's been so long since I've seen you make something like that - dough stuff I mean." LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
My mom cooked everything from scratch, and canned. Our treat was when she would go to Saps bakery and buy cases of day old donuts and freeze them. I tend not to buy premade either. Except for a loaf a bread. My kids always complain when they come by "there is no snacks in the house". What they really mean to say is that theres no junk food in the house.
Lea - Saps Bakery!!! I remember that - I grew up in Franklin!!! We'd go to Saps, buy yeast donuts and my mom would fry them in butter - YUMMY!!! Loved it
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Earthwalker, I resemble your mother. Maybe the stork delivered me to the wrong address. I blew up water in the microwave not long ago. :oops: I should have known better. I get a little distracted when I'm working.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

My Mom baked a lot. I baked a lot when my kids were home. I don't bake very much the last 8 or 10 yr.s, except for Thanksgiving, bake lots of pies then, oldest Daughter bakes the cakes.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Mom sometimes,Grandma always!I still bake all 5 children bake and cook.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

My mom did no baking at all.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM

I remember my mom baking bread. 6 loaves at a time and a whole loaf would be eaten before it cooled. Warm homemade bread with a chewy crust and fresh homemade butter. Mmmmm. I made the butter, she didn't like having to shake the jar that long. Guess that came from having to do it in her childhood.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM

My mother could only make charcoal. No matter what went into the oven, it came out black, and once she actually melted an aluminum pot on the burner. We used to gnaw on Milk-Bones because they tasted better!