Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did your Mom bake growing up?? >

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Did your Mom bake growing up??

Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 AM

My mother can bake, but anything other than soup was beyond her. My sister and I have both trained as Chefs . . . .so our survival skills were put to good use.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM

my mom baked and so do I, I'd rather bake than cook. I am a very good cookie baker and make a very good cheese cake.
But of course I love to eat it all.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
My Mom baked every single day when we were growing up, with the exception of weekends. Like a typical kid I wanted what my friends had in their lunches- store bought. I traded her goodies for Oreos etc. I look back on it and laugh at myself now but can't imagine I did that!!
She passed her love of baking on to me. I'm going to see her in a few days and won't trade her goodies for anything! YUMMY :thumbup:
Yes, why do you think I'm so fluffy.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
my mom baked and so do I, I'd rather bake than cook. I am a very good cookie baker and make a very good cheese cake.
But of course I love to eat it all.
I'd much rather bake than cook, too, especially cookies, and of course eat it! My mom baked goodies, but not bread. We always had homemade cookies, etc. And she sewed, too--made most of my clothes, and hers, and sometimes we had matching dresses. My mom's soft raisin cookies are a family favorite, my son swears she puts some kind of illegal substance in them, they're so addictive.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM

My mom baked growing up. I appreciate everything my momma makes in general because my grandmother never taught my mom to make anything. My mother is selftaught.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM

My mom was baking cakes. My father would get up at six on Sundays and make pies. The pie crust was so light and fluffy. In the family if someone would serve a pie, they would always say; I did my best but it does not compare with Albert's.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM

I never saw my Mom bake anything. My Nana lived with us and she bought from a company called Cushman's Bakery that would deliver baked goods right to your door. I had no idea all baked goods didn't come from Cushman's.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM

My mom was the best baker in the world. She had a cake ministry. Every month she would put this card on the refrigerator that had names of family, friends and neighbors with their special dates for that month. She would bake them a cake, even the mailman.

Whenever we came home from school, she had baked something for snack for us before we would do our homework. When she baked rolls, she would hide an almond in one and whoever ate that roll got a nickle.

One of my favorites was her baked apples. She would core the apple, fill it with raisins, nuts and cinnamon; bake the apple then pour vanilla pudding over it. Yummmy!!!

Sunday morning was hot biscuits. She would always give each of us a piece of dough that would be gray and grimmy sometimes when we finish rolling, playing with it and my brother would throw it up to the ceiling. No matter how scrungy it looked she always let us bake it, knowing the heat would kill any of our little germs. I can remember baked faces with beady eyes that were hard as bricks. She alwasy praised our creations. That was a loving woman who I miss evey day of my life. I too am a baker.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM

My mom was the best baker in the world. She had a cake ministry. Every month she would put this card on the refrigerator that had names of family, friends and neighbors with their special dates for that month. She would bake them a cake, even the mailman.

Whenever we came home from school, she had baked something for snack for us before we would do our homework. When she baked rolls, she would hide an almond in one and whoever ate that roll got a nickle.

One of my favorites was her baked apples. She would core the apple, fill it with raisins, nuts and cinnamon; bake the apple then pour vanilla pudding over it. Yummmy!!!

Sunday morning was hot biscuits. She would always give each of us a piece of dough that would be gray and grimmy sometimes when we finish rolling, playing with it and my brother would throw it up to the ceiling. No matter how scrungy it looked she always let us bake it, knowing the heat would kill any of our little germs. I can remember baked faces with beady eyes that were hard as bricks. She alwasy praised our creations. That was a loving woman who I miss evey day of my life. I too am a baker.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM

No baking from my mother - that would have ruined her drinking (alcohol). I must have taught myself to bake because I did not ever see her do it. I baked a lot when my kids (3) were at home. Now that they are grown and gone, DH and I don't eat much sweets/breads.

So sad - mother is 87 years old and still drinks a lot. Went on a trip with my oldest DD this summer and brought her booze with her.

Neither my sister or I drink at all.