Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: That dimple under your nose

That dimple under your nose

The dimple under your nose is called a philtrum. It is found on all humans and primates, and has no function at all. I never knew that or really ever thought about it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I thought it helped with colds. Like a gutter! LOL!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I never knew what it was called or even gave it any thought unless I had a runny nose.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The dimple under your nose is called a philtrum. It is found on all humans and primates, and has no function at all. I never knew that or really ever thought about it.

curious: what prompted this bit of info......thanks, though as my theory is learn something new each day and your bit of info is my new something of today.....might be useful in a crossword someday....

Sandygirl, you are so quick witted!!! ROTF laughing!!!!

love random facts

Blog Entries
    Never even thought about that! Thanks, I'll try to remember my new word for the day.

When you were up in heaven, a twinkle in your daddy's eye, you did not have this dimple.As you waited to come here, you were told the Secret of Life. When it was time for you to come to earth from heaven, an angel would take her forefinger and place it upon your lips, vertically and pressing in would say "SSSSHHHH, don't tell the secret", leaving the indentation there permanently. There! That is the reason!
    Last edited by jeanneb52; 02-17-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I thought it helped with colds. Like a gutter! LOL!
    sandy
    Since we're getting "silly" here--what is the intended use of that stuff in the gutter? The matter that comes from the other end had a use in the past--urine was used for tanning skins, the other for fertilizer. But what was the intent of this that comes from the nose? Surely we are overlooking something here!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    When you were up in heaven, a twinkle in your daddy's eye, you did not have this dimple.As you waited to come here, you were told the Secret of Life. When it was time for you to come to earth from heaven, an angel would take her forefinger and place it upon your lips, vertically and pressing in would say "SSSSHHHH, don't tell the secret", leaving the indentation there permanently. There! That is the reason!
    ahh, how very sweet....will have to pass that to my GG kids

I just got over a sinus infection and the only thing I can think that green/brown stuff is good for is job security for Kleenex and trash pickup!

When I was small, my mother told me a story very similar that the one already told here. It went like this: before we are born, we are angels in heaven who have knowledge of all things. Before being born, an angel presses her finger there, making that indentation, and we forget everything.

The lack of the dimple can by a physical sign of fetal alcohol syndrome.

Ewww, it's getting a little gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    curious: .....might be useful in a crossword someday....
    This sounds like useful information. Now, where am I going to store it so I can access it when I need it. PHILTRUM
    I'm going to give mine a name. I'll call him Phil!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

My kids called it the "taint".....it "taint" part of your nose and it "taint" part of your lip.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I think we should use PHILTRUM in a sentence.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

I read somewhere that old time medicine people thought that when a woman was pregnant, that dimple developed a very light brown (almost imperceptible) hue...I have always remembered this and looked at a lot of preg woman, but in this day and age of make up, I can never tell!