Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
disappointing day vending at a craft fair >

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 AM

I know what your talking about, I had went to one and had set up too and I didn't even make my table rent which was only $20 I think I might have made $5. What a big let down. The next time I went to one it was different I made out pretty good. The whole thing is it's the economy, what the person is looking for, Yes how it is advertised, how many more are in the area. Don't give up going to them and setting up you will have good days and bad ones. Even if you have to reduce your prices towards the middle or end of the day will help too. Have fun also make new friends,
Good luck.

Cheryl
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
There were lots of people wandering around looking at stuff,
There were lots of people walking around? So it really wasn't lack of marketing? I helped a friend at a spring craft fair a couple of years ago. It was great fun, and I enjoyed chatting with customers and other vendors. Here in Arizona, craft fairs are held either in the spring or fall because no one wants to walk around in the heat of summer. Anyway, my friend sold lots of fabric wreaths. She made them in several sizes and tailored them for spring, summer, fall and holiday fabrics. One lady bought four wreaths for all four seasons. If I remember correctly, she sold the wreaths for $30-$45 depending on size. She also made aprons, which seem to be quite popular these days. Two of the ladies in my quilt group are planning to sell table runners at an upcoming craft fair.

Don't give up! I love craft fairs. I always buy something to help the crafters because I'd hate for craft fairs to go away.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM

I just looked at your etsy site, and I have a suggestion for the future. Your ornaments are gorgeous. How about making some like them into pincushions. From this Board's recent pincushion swap, I'll bet you would sell a lot of them. Just something to think about. I love your work.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM

You were not alone. A friend has a booth at the monthly antique show in Charlotte and he didn't do anything either. In fact, no one at that show was selling either.

We used to do craft/art shows too. It was always hit or miss. We found you did better at art shows than craft fairs. Depending on what you're selling that might be a better avenue to try.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I just looked at your etsy site, and I have a suggestion for the future. Your ornaments are gorgeous. How about making some like them into pincushions. From this Board's recent pincushion swap, I'll bet you would sell a lot of them. Just something to think about. I love your work.
Must have missed something.........WHO"S Etsy site?????????/ .......Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Sorry to hear it wasn't a positive experience. I've found, doing other crafts, that the best events happen as you near major holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) That's when people are always looking for that special gift. Keep smiling and don't give up. Nothing says "I care" like something hand crafted with love.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM

I went to two in Oct/Nov last year, perfect time I thought. Lots of good quality stuff, big variety, mostly waht I saw sold was lower priced stuff, less than $20. I doubt I'll go to anymore.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I was a vendor at a craft fair today organized by a local lady in the next town over from mine. There were 70 vendors (!), the weather was great, we were inside a nice building with lovely amenities and good parking...and everyone's sales were abysmal. I made four sales, all to friends. The ladies at the tables around me made one or no sales...even the lady who organized the whole thing didn't sell anything! There were lots of people wandering around looking at stuff, but only the two cupcake vendors seemed to be moving any product. (Mmmm...cupcakes.)

This was my first craft fair, so I don't have anything with which to compare today. There were lots of different types of crafts available, most of them looked like good quality stuff, and there wasn't an overload of any one kind of craft - people just weren't buying. I didn't really pay that much attention to how this event was advertised. I told my friends about it, none of whom at heard of it through any media sources. This may have been the real problem - not enough marketing. (This was also the first year for this event.)

I am posting this rather dismal note so that anyone who is gearing up for a craft fair in the near future can try getting the word out about it a little more aggressively than I did. And good luck!

Alison
My church had a bazzar this spring. We noticed that people just did not have the money to spend on goodies. This economy of ours has put a lot of people in a world of hurt. It is hard to pay for expensive gas as well as the high cost of food. Everything has gotten so expensive that people have to think twice before spending a dollar on something they really don't consider a necessity. We all must remember to vot this fall.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I have sold at local guild quilt shows. The traffic is usually good but the price per table keeps going up. Around $100 and this is at local guild shows. The big shows are hundreds of dollars (600). You do need to have the ability to take credit cards and need to clear items that might compete with the guild's boutique items or silent auction items. The most frequently heard comment is "I can make that" and "do you have the pattern?"
I always use to get, "Oh my, someone has been busy!" and "I have a quilt at home that I started - I have to get around to finishing it one of these days."
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM

My two cents worth......

1. Nothing new out there. I like table runners, purses, bun warmers, wall hangings,etc., etc., etc. but, in actuality, how many can one use in a lifetime?? I simply don't have the storage space.

2. Went to the MASSIVE Country Living show last year. They DID have a few new things and the displays
were original and inviting but almost no one took debit cards. It was in the fall so was looking for gifts.
Would have spent maybe $200 or $300 but I would never carry that much cash on me

3. Think there should be more modern items. Love vintage but sometimes I just want something a little out of the
box ... something original ...

4. Yes, I can duplicate most of the things I see but give me something so appealing that I want it (RIGHT NOW !!!)

Like I said ... just my two cents worth.