Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
disappointing day vending at a craft fair >

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

disappointing day vending at a craft fair

Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I"ve done craft shows for years....and yes, spring shows are always lower in income than the fall shows...but, if the promoter didn't do her/his job and do plenty of advertising, the show is doomed.
Take a photo of your display...Analyze your photo and be critical...BellaBoo is right...marketing is the key. Never have things just displayed flat on a table...an item has to catch the customer's eye as they are walking...they don't walk with their heads looking down on a table.
Try another show...this one could be a fluke.
Good luck...
Good advice from someone who knows. Her booth is very attractive and eye catching.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM

I am so sorry you had such poor sales after so much work put into your projects. I live in Canada and was out of the Christmas Crafts for a number of years and decided to get back in last year with my quilted items and crafts. The sale was well organized and advertised and well attended but NO ONE had great sales! You hear on the news how everyone is overspending and using their credit cards, well, my opinion is if they can't put it on a credit card they can't buy it because they don't have any cash! So I think we can see lesser sales even at well attended shows, but keep up and even do your own advertising saying "You will be at _____show on such date and come and see my booth". People that are familiar with your work will come to see you. I plan to do my own advertising next year....can't do any harm.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 AM

People always ask why I don't sell my work and this is why. I would just die if I sat there and watched people look and keep moving.Or picked over the stuff and sniffed... all that work. I'm basically insecure about the quality of my stuff. Aren't we all.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM

In our area, some of the craft and vendor fairs have started using a facebook page. At least it lets all of your "friends" know about it.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 AM

Default At quilt shows

I have sold at local guild quilt shows. The traffic is usually good but the price per table keeps going up. Around $100 and this is at local guild shows. The big shows are hundreds of dollars (600). You do need to have the ability to take credit cards and need to clear items that might compete with the guild's boutique items or silent auction items. The most frequently heard comment is "I can make that" and "do you have the pattern?"
Attached Thumbnails booth-blog.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
I believe that crafts shows and such have gone the way of the 8 track player. People are more interested in buying NEW, and not hand made. Also, most craft tables dont take plastic. I have noticed what you learned for quite a number of years now.
Yes! I think you've nailed it about the plastic. My kids live 3200 miles away and postage costs prevent me from sending anything with bulk or weight. So mainly I send checks. They probably like that better, anyway! So sorry though at the rough time you had. Would Etsy or one of the other online sales places work?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 AM

I'm sorry that you didn't do better, but it is usually the advertising that is the problem when that happens. It is usually more profitable when going to an established sale that has been well advertised. Better luck next time!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Craft sales are hit and miss. Most people come to get ideas. My guild makes more money selling a pattern for an item we make then the item. We try to have a new shape pincushion, different pot holder, etc to draft the pattern to sell. Also presentation is a big factor. Things siting on a folding table usually won't gather much more then a glance. I took a marketing seminar and learned never have items laid out like a yard sale for any professional sale. Bring in baskets, chains to hang items on, have fresh flowers on the table, a bowl of Hershey's Kisses. Look at pictures of the quilt booths at most quilt shows. Which ones do you think gather more traffic?
I think you really hit on a good point. How many times do we read - even here in this board - that folks go to craft shows to get ideas and then go home and make their own. If I were going to buy something at a craft show, it would have to be cheap enought that I couldn't duplicate it for the money, or technically advanced enough that I wouldn't be able to.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 AM

Awe, sorry. I've never tried one.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM

I have done craft shows for over 10 years and have found that shows in the Spring and Summer generally garner a lot of 'lookers' not many buyers. The shows we do in the fall leading up to Christmas are the best attended shows with folks spending money. We actually stopped selling at shows any other time of year, it's a waste of time and it doesn't matter how many years the show has been in existence. Selling cheaper is not the answer either. Shows need to be well advertised and stay away from shows that include 'flea market' and 'white elephant' tables. The shoppers at those shows are looking for bargains and handmade crafts are not bargains. We have had great success at Sunday only shows providing they are in the fall season. Marketing makes all the difference and in the past 2 years weI have started selling at shows that charge higher booth fees. The marketing is much better and the shoppers they bring in are definitely motivated to buy - in one case we spent $400.00 (a scary amount when we sent in the check) on the booth space and made 5 x that in sales so it was well worth the initial investment.

As has already been noted, you need an attractive display, tables with cloths and skirts etc. Try setting up your display at home and take pictures, visit other shows and see which booths appeal to you, maybe you could use some of their tricks to display your items. It's also a good idea to have a couple of less expensive items. That often catches shoppers attention and they start to look at your other items.