Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do not lose all your precious files..

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Do not lose all your precious files..

Recent posts about computer crashes and losing files in other ways prompts me to post this helpful link..
    http://askbobrankin.com/free_online_backup_with_crashplan.html

I have read articles written by this guy before. Not sure if I trust anything that is free.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    He and Patrick Crispin have been blogging for YEARS...I have followed their advice for almost that long...totally trustworthy....Google Bob Rankin and Patrick Crispen for info
    Last edited by kathidahl; 03-17-2015 at 05:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    if you go to the download, it's only free for 30 days
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    if you go to the download, it's only free for 30 days
    No, read the whole article..you can choose the one that you pay for...you can choose to ask a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
    Recent posts about computer crashes and losing files in other ways prompts me to post this helpful link..
    http://askbobrankin.com/free_online_backup_with_crashplan.html
    I would never do that. I have a friend who did something like that and her computer was hacked and destroyed. I use a Passport drive. It is an external storage drive. I always save my precious things, because once I lost pictures I will never get back. So now, it is so worth the cost of buying the Passport drive. There are different sizes of gig. So you can buy what is best for you.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    I let a 13 yr old play yahoo games on my computer. She went onto FB and down loaded a game from that site and by the next morning I had serious problems. My son is a computer wizard and he traced it back to that game. Well there was no saving my computer. He got me a new one and while setting it up he had me repeat 3 rules. No one uses my computer but me - I do not know enough about computers to down load anything. - Free downloads are never ever free.

Free downloads make for expensive fixes and many tears! My 30 something kids have advised me to stay away from free sites of any kind. Both are in the computer business.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I bought a Passport external drive for regular, and almost continuous, backup. I also use a thumb drive. Also, Youncan get 5 gb from Amazon on their cloud for free. You do not have to be a Prime member.

Pay a yearly fee and get Carbonite. You get what you pay for. It's safe and you don't have to do anything. Every file and picture is backed up forever. New computer? You don't lose anything from the old even if it crashed.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I also got an external drive and it has worked great for keeping all of my quilting info on. Also if I am going to someone's house and know that we might like to look at something it is a whole lot easier to take that than pack up my lap top

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the thumb drives also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Pay a yearly fee and get Carbonite. You get what you pay for. It's safe and you don't have to do anything. Every file and picture is backed up forever. New computer? You don't lose anything from the old even if it crashed.
    Carbonite is a good suggestion for many people. I have no problem with free programs, but you do have to be vigilant during the download process. I agree that my grandkids get junk because of non diligence...I clean up their computers...but I use several free programs and have for years. Just have to watch what you are doing..and I am done on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I have read articles written by this guy before. Not sure if I trust anything that is free.
    You are a very wise computer user.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Quote Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
    Carbonite is a good suggestion for many people. I have no problem with free programs, but you do have to be vigilant during the download process. I agree that my grandkids get junk because of non diligence...I clean up their computers...but I use several free programs and have for years. Just have to watch what you are doing..and I am done on this topic.
    Just watch the source when you download a free program and you'll be fine. I'm lucky that my son is a computer engineer and has taught me so much. I clean my computer regularly and watch very closely as you do, being vigilant is the key.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I'm always wary of offers like this. It could be a source for someone to do things to your computer - just like the guy(s) who call to tell you there's something wrong with your windows because it's sending out certain signals; but, if you go to your computer, he can tell you how to fix it. I always say that I don't have a computer and they hang up.

I agree with OnebyOne. Carbonite is worth the price. I never even have to think about it. It's all automatic and also in the cloud. A back up device used at home could also be lost due to fire, flood, lightening strike, the dog ate it, etc.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda