Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do they really think we would wear this??

Blog Entries
    I have often wondered the same thing. Who would wear these clothes. I have never seen anyone wear these. The hair and makeup are crazy too.

Blog Entries
    I actually think some of them are really stunning. Granted the puffy white thing, the one that looks like a shark costume and that marvelous black lace hat/mask were a bit too ... what is the word without being rude ... edgy? But girls. Let's face it - looking chic at the LQS or even the grocery store can lift spirits - our own and others, too.

I can't wait to watch the Oscar's Special edition of Fashion Police tonight.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can say is with some of these you would have to wear Depends or else get into a lot of trouble if nature called. Bet it would take a while to get some of these things off. Just saying.
    Joy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Every time I see a designer's way out runway creations, I think of the episode on I Love Lucy, when the group went to Paris, and the girls wanted designer dresses. Ricky and Fred took feedbags from horses on the street, had a tailor make dresses out of burlap, put the dresses in designer boxes for Lucy and Ethel, and they strutted down the street thinking they had the latest fashion! Still laugh at that one!
    i was thinking the same thing
    TwandasMom

I'd like to see a fashion show that has clothes that real women wear and could afford.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee G View Post
    "Ready To Wear".......Where? LOL
    Not even to a worm wrestling match...

This is a fashion show. These styles are only seen on the runway... to establish the designer and his/her style. These looks are ALWAYS modified for production into 'ready to wear', as the designers have to be able to sell to real people in order to survive.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The one with the gloves looks like she's getting ready to do dishes or scrub the bathroom!

I like the leather jacket!

And yes, someone will wear these things. Probably not to the LQS, though!

Blog Entries
    I saw a couple I might wear if I were model thin.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

Not only would the average person not be caught dead wearing them; the average person could wear them if they wanted to, especially give that 60% of our population is obese. (me included!) Now we know where the other 40% are hanging out. I wonder what a fashion show would look like if they were designing clothes for the regular population.

I think it's intended as a form of entertainment. I especially LOVE the one with the orange dishwashing gloves and the colorful "bathrobe" to go with it - one of the few things that look as if they might fit me. With that as inspiration I can't wait for Halloween to get here. All it needs to complete the look would be some electric green flip flops and big ole juice can hair curlers.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

These clothes are made to be worn one time to one event. The women who buy them know exactly the designer name and what line they are from. Just like quilters know a log cabin from a double wedding ring pattern. I can't imagine living in the society that wears outfits like this but there are thousands that live it everyday.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

They look like Halloween costumes for very skinny girls......

What kills me is many of the outfits don't look good on the models! If they don't look good on them, they're definitely not going to look good on me! And, if I can help it, my feet are never going into another pair of high heels as long as they live.

I was told that it is not so much the clothes, but the colors and the way the clothes are put together that is what they are trying to achieve. I actually like the olive green (?) coat and the outfit she has on too. That said, I am not 6'12" so it would not look nice on me. Looks great on her. Dig the silly hats and head coverings.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps if one was a Hollywood actress and going to the Oscars and trying to out do everyone else.

As others have said, there's a couple I like, but not as dresses, over long skirts or pants. I do wear hats and am inclined to be a bit "out there", but goodness me, unless you a rail thin, there are going to be a lot of fashion tragics this year. Funny, all we hear on the radio/news is how big Australians are getting, how we need to trim down, eat healthy food and exercise more. When I see girls from the local high school heading home, must admit, they are far heavier than we were in the 60's and 70's. Today when I was in Coles (kind of Kmart here), they had short knit skirts with broad horizontal stripes....no way is that going to look good on most people. Me, I'm sticking to vintage/op shops.

The whole point of those shows is fantasy and I would imagine prototypes for something more realistic. My boy children loved the fantasy designed cars at auto shows and those designs morph into more realistic cars..same thing. As for wearing any of those fashions in real life, I'm partial to the 'snowball' jacket. But then, all my husband has to do is roll me down a hill. With all the snow we have, I'd get a free coat in a matter of minutes.

Blog Entries
    I actually like several of them. A few would scare the milk right out of my goats. At any rate I do enjoy seeing the creations from Paris and doing a little daydreaming. Will keep an eye on Vogue, etc. to see their versions.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

NO ONE would want to see MY body in most of those "fashions" !

Back to another year of jeans and t-shirts or sweats.

OK, I have to speak up. I work just down the hall from the fashion design classes and sewing labs at my university. And I see some wonderful and wonderfully wierd expressions of creativity in the garments our students design for their fashion shows. But, it is from those unusual expressions that we get the clothing we wear. We just take elements of them, a ruffle her a sequin there, an angled hem line and make our ordinary day-by-day garb just a wee bit special. You are correct that no one would wear some of those designer fashions but the designers know that. They also know that we will see elements of those "way out there" fashions and like them. I adore the BIG white furry wrap! And toned down to be less extreme in size, I would wear it often this winter! (Mostly to just ward off the C-O-L-D). And.... it would make a great cat bed. Tee-Hee!

Of course they look angry. They are starving.

The theme is "Get the women as naked as you can"
    Karo

They know that only the rich and famous will wear this type of thing because they can afford it and think they can get away with wearing it.

Trust me, if I made it to the LQS without getting arrested for indecent exposure, they would call my DH and have me picked up for going off the deep end!
    Country 1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast