Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you belong to facebook?  If so please read this! >

Do you belong to facebook? If so please read this!

Do you belong to facebook? If so please read this!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 PM

I do use Facebook, but I don't have any 'friends' that I don't know & I don't post when I'm going to be gone.
I have re-connected with several old friends & my gang of regulars have been keeping in better touch with it - ones that I haven't been able to get on the phone! lol
Old 03-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
i am about to delete my facebook account, I find it boring anyway.
I did erase alot of my info but couldn't figure out a way to eliminate the whole thing. I couldnt' find a "close account" button. Is there one?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 AM

I had a couple of people on mine that I'd known for a long time. Had to take them off, I didn't realize that they were so vulgar. They'd never talked like that face to face. I guess that people feel that it's okay to put vulgarities on the internet since you can't really "see" them---sort of like those people that pick their noses in their car thinking no one can see through the glass.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 AM

I have facebook, and we share pictures of the grandkids, with my 2 kids that live out of state. i also have relatives in england. it is a nice way to share with them too.
i post maybe once a week. No one can see me, unless i "friend" them. i also have connected with long lost high school friends. i just "hide" anyone that i don't want to see. if they want to say something to me, they have to post on my "wall".
i block all flowers/smileys/farmvilles ect...

yes,facebook is really boring..

but it beats sending out a bunch of emails,with pics of the kids..and forgetting one of the relatives.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:30 AM

Many reasons why I joined:

1) I've found high school friends (one of which lives 2 miles away!) and some cousins that I don't see often. We comment often and I feel the miles are shorter between us.

2) I joined to keep up with my kids. My 2 year old gs has a page- so he can play farmville but I send him messages, it's fun.

I think twitter is worse- people talking about what they are doing that minute.

3) I even have people here from the board- they post pics of their quilts- that is my favorite part! So much inspiration.

4) I use it for work. I rely on Realtors for work- they are a tight knit group and I've been able to get to know several and work with them more.

People who know me know I have dogs and don't have valuables. I'd feel violated if someone broke in but I think they wouldn't find anything worth stealing. No jewelry, no money, no big tvs, nothing. And by the week end- no food according to my son. Now- if they absconded with my stash- I would be really mad!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 AM

As for people that have break ins being on facebook, probably 90 percent of the online public is on facebook...not a glaring coincidence to me....that's like saying that most people who have their cars stolen have bank loans on the cars.

I've been able to connect with some old school friends and learn about others thru FB.

I've played the games...still play a couple of them, but am mostly bored with the games. I'm not much of a game player to begin with. I don't like that they're set up so that you HAVE to be playing at a certain time...I'd rather play a game when *I* want to, not when I'm told to. That's why I don't do much with Farmville or the others like it anymore...

The best thing that's happened to me on FB is about a week and a half ago. I do genealogy. A few months ago, I sent an email to a person on Ancestry asking about a person on their private tree. The person I was asking about was my grandmother's half brother, that none of us were aware existed until we found him in the census. I got no answer on my query until last week, when a lady sent me a message on FB asking if I was the person that had asked about her grandfather.
I immediately responded to her...laughing as I did it. She lives here in town, and was a long time customer of ours where I work! We already knew and liked each other! They're coming to dinner on Sunday...a family get together! It was funny, because I don't think she ever knew my last name, and she didn't connect my photo to me, because she hasn't seen me since I lost weight. I was able to play with her head a bit by asking if I could call her, and was her phone number still xxx-xxx-xxxx? :lol:

That being said. I do think that sometimes folks share too much information via the internet.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
As for people that have break ins being on facebook, probably 90 percent of the online public is on facebook...not a glaring coincidence to me....that's like saying that most people who have their cars stolen have bank loans on the cars.

I've been able to connect with some old school friends and learn about others thru FB.

I've played the games...still play a couple of them, but am mostly bored with the games. I'm not much of a game player to begin with. I don't like that they're set up so that you HAVE to be playing at a certain time...I'd rather play a game when *I* want to, not when I'm told to. That's why I don't do much with Farmville or the others like it anymore...

The best thing that's happened to me on FB is about a week and a half ago. I do genealogy. A few months ago, I sent an email to a person on Ancestry asking about a person on their private tree. The person I was asking about was my grandmother's half brother, that none of us were aware existed until we found him in the census. I got no answer on my query until last week, when a lady sent me a message on FB asking if I was the person that had asked about her grandfather.
I immediately responded to her...laughing as I did it. She lives here in town, and was a long time customer of ours where I work! We already knew and liked each other! They're coming to dinner on Sunday...a family get together! It was funny, because I don't think she ever knew my last name, and she didn't connect my photo to me, because she hasn't seen me since I lost weight. I was able to play with her head a bit by asking if I could call her, and was her phone number still xxx-xxx-xxxx? :lol:

That being said. I do think that sometimes folks share too much information via the internet.
I do genealogy too. I was searching for information about my half sister's father. I had been e-ing back and forth with a woman from the area he grew up in and she had the same last name as him. Since I was new to genealogy she told me to be careful and to expect to find skeletons in old closets. I told her that we might share one as I was looking for my sister's father and his last name was the same as hers. When she asked and I sent his full name I never heard back from her. I later found out that he had passed away in 1949 from TB. I always though they might have been related and I'd stuck a virtual foot in my e-mouth.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:40 AM

You can go to My Account, settings, then deactivate your account if you wish to close it after removing everything. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 AM

I agree with you facebook is the only way I can know what my son is doing in California. I don't post anything on my page either.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
i am about to delete my facebook account, I find it boring anyway.
That's why I deleted mine. It bored me to tears to hear that someone 'just got home from work' or was eating macaroni and cheese for dinner. YAWN.

I never thought about the safety issue, posting when you're leaving your house, but that is scary.