Do you Cricut?

Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Do you Cricut?

I have been wondering if any of my quilting friends on here ever used a Cricut cutter in any way in relation to making quilts? I am trying to decide if it would be something that would be a good investment. However, since my main craft is quilting I just cannot decide if it would be worth it. There are some other crafts I might try but unless I can incorporate it into quilting most of all I just don't know if I want to bother with it. Any opinions anyone? or

Last edited by DebJ; 04-12-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: needed grammar correction +
Old 04-13-2018, 04:10 AM

It will depend on your quilting projects. Do you use applique? Many of the machines are great for cutting applique pieces with fusible. What other crafts would you like to learn? Does this machine fit in with your goals or would another brand be a better fit?

Have you checked for videos? There are usually a few crafters that have videos with information on the particular machine you are considering.

I have the SNC wireless one. Still learning but can cut the applique for machine embroidery on the machine. Many embroidery designs now include the cut files too. There are so many projects and techniques. It's always fun to learn something new. Our local shop has lessons twice a month so that helps too.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:22 AM

Bought one in 2009. Have never really used it like I should. I have loaned it out plenty. Mostly used for cutting paper to decorate notice boards at church and school. Some decorations for the kids rooms. I suspect the new ones are pretty different now.? Everyone seems to be on board with the Silouette? Great use for appliqué. Friends had to get Silouette for embroidery class and love it? I don’t want to invest any more money in stuff like that. I also have a Sizzix and yet I really want an Accu Go cutter! Geesh, maybe I need to get these both out and try to use them!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I bought an Accuquilt cutter because I only use it for fabric. From my understanding Cricut is for paper as well?
Old 04-14-2018, 06:41 AM

If I got an Accuquilt cutter, I'd like the electric one - and that's the most expensive one. I have hand issues and don't want to monkey around with a crank to cut fabric. Usually around Thanksgiving and/or Christmas they have deals.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Cricut has a new machine called the Cricut Maker that is supposed to be great for cutting quilt block pieces, not just applique. Apparently you don't need to stiffen the fabric There' s a special mat that is super sticky that you use. I've been thinking of buying one but I want to see one demoed first and haven't been able to find them in a shop. It sure seems like it would be cheaper and more versatile than Acccuquilt because you don't have to buy all those dies. You can only cut through one layer at a time but you can duplicate the shape several times as there is a bigger cutting surface than the Accuquilt. Would like to talk to someone who has one and uses it for cutting quilt blocks.