Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you donate around Christmas? >

Do you donate around Christmas?

Do you donate around Christmas?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

I just wanted to add that I think when you give to someone who NEEDS it, not an organization, the feeling you get from that is so satisfying, even if you wish you could do more. It is something that does my heart good.

I know there are great organizations out there, but I prefer to make the impact on the individuals so that I am sure their needs are being met. God bless all of you who go out of your way to make it happen.

Diane
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Tonight Project Christmas volunteers are wrapping presents for children in families who are getting PC food boxes this year. There are 500 more children than last year so there are 1100 presents to be wrapped! Some Wal-Mart employees are donating their time to wrap presents today and pack food boxes on Thursday (I'd go Thursday, but I have to work) because of Wal-Mart's VAP (Volunteering Always Pays) program. If 30 or 40 employees (the managers weren't sure which on the top of their head) show up we'll reach the $3000 mark, which Wal-Mart will donate to PC. The total hours volunteered counts as well, but I'm not sure how many hours are needed to get X-amount of dollars. We already have 30 employees signed up for both days and if they all stayed the full 2 hours that'd be a total of 120 volunteer hours. Should be awesome.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

please remember the U.S. still has troops in other countries. not just war torn; our men and women are still living around the world serving. over 100 countries.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
please remember the U.S. still has troops in other countries. not just war torn; our men and women are still living around the world serving. over 100 countries.
My wonderful friend Dona from Texas, sends over 3000 filled stocking every year to an AF base in Korea. Shipping alone is about $10K, but her community has been there to make sure it happens. Lots of volunteers, sewers, donors of gifts, financial donations, etc. It is a wonderful event for her and all who participate. She just simply turned a desire to help the deployed enjoy Christmas into a year long event of giving. Kudos to her!

Diane
Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 PM

We donated a bunch of food to the local homeless shelter. Stuff like soups, ramen noodles, soap, bottled water, mac/cheese etc. We also donate our aluminum cans there instead of giving them to the local bums camped out across the driveway from Wal Mart.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Our sunday school class has been helping a young mother of 4 since june...Her husband left her for another woman...We helped her get an apartment and help with the utilities every month..Another group fills her pantry...For christmas, we took up an extra collection to get some gifts for mom and another group is getting gifts for the kids..The young mother is going to school full time and being both parents...She knows that an education will get her a good job...So we all are doing what we can to help...All of the kids have red hair and are adorable...I am so glad we can help...