Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you fear this as much as me? >

Do you fear this as much as me?

Do you fear this as much as me?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

My son, age 53, just got a nasty gash on his wrist from one of those lids.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I agree with all of the problems above. I get so frustrated trying to open pretty much anything nowadays. Especially when the pharmacist puts child-proof caps on my meds.
You can ask your pharmacists to either give you easy open bottles or blister pack your pills, to make life easier. I know that I can buy Tylenol here with an easy to open lid.

I feed my cats a tin of pull tab food a day. I use the end of a spoon to lift the tab and get it started. For me once the seal is broken it is easier. But I always struggle with the tinned meat or fish that have the key you have to use.

For any bottle with the foil seal underneath, I do not attempt to pull it off, I use a clean knife and puncture it then wiggle the knife around the edge to release it.

If you get grocery delivery (I set this up for my former mother in law), you can ask the delivery person to remove the seals of containers and cartons prior to putting them in the fridge. Most are willing to help.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Yes! Fortunately having a super sized family leaves me with plenty of young ones to help me get into my food. They pull sardine cans open, open jars of pepperoncini's, rip plastic off of cases of water and lift 25-50 lbs bags with bulk food. Stuff pack into those plastic clam shells are the worst.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 AM

Our standard retort here when we grunt over milk carton lids and any of the stuff above
"Should have had it opened at the store"

I think the reason behind the ultra secure is people who have tampered with things
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

my dh buys me jello and fruits in cups. I can't get the lid off of them. they are clear plastic, and you have to be 18 with the strength to open it. Very frustrating. oh, and string cheese is a bummer too to gt open. I have one of those plastic mesh things to open jars. Thank goodness my kitty doesn't eat that smelly catfood, or tuna for that matter. she eats Blue Buffalo dry feed.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 AM

With RA in my hands they are very hard and painful for me. I hate them.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 AM

No affiliation but QVC sells a multi-function can opener. I think it opens 8 types, one being the pull tabs.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=Tothill;7638147]You can ask your pharmacists to either give you easy open bottles or blister pack your pills, to make life easier. I know that I can buy Tylenol here with an easy to open lid.

My RX bottles are supposed to be non childproof, but occasionally they forget. I drove 28 miles to and from drugstore for them to open one I had to take immediately. I am a regular customer there and it was a new pharmacist.

I can't open the blister paks either. I use scissors to cut them open, but it's a pain. That particular med only comes loose in strengths that are way too weak for me. I asked, but I'd have to take 7 of them to get the strength I need.

It's so frustrating to get old and be unable to do the things you were doing with no problems even a few years ago.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Yuppers.... sliced between my thumb and finger while we were camping a few weeks back on a sardine lid.... was trying to be healthy and get some extra calcium
Old 08-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Childproof lids for our meds are terrible--maybe I should save a few lids in case the pharmacy forgets and sends the childproof ones. The childproof lids are a great thing to protect kids but just not good for us old folks.