Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have short, long or fake finger nails? >

Do you have short, long or fake finger nails?

Do you have short, long or fake finger nails?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Craftybear. hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa. Depends on what day it is. I use my short ones that are natural when I am home. Then I love the glue on for unexpected trips, and I have the solar nails put on because they last so long but get behind on the fill-ins and off they come. What a good topic. My toes do wonderful, they are painted with dark blue right now. How funny. My GD was over and we had a spa day and she painted them. Usually I use ruby or red on them. If only my nails would grow as fast as my toenails.LOL
Next week is back to solar nails. Since mine won't cooperate and grow...maybe if they would stay out of my mouth. ROFL>
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM

My nails have been short for over 30 yrs. I play the piano and organ, and that's hard to do with long nails. It's still do-able, but I can't do it. Now, my hubby would like me to grow longer nails so I could scratch his back better!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Plain, real and just long enough to look nice (unless I break one) but not so long as to be noticable or to get in my way. Never, ever any nail polish. I tried it a couple of times years ago and felt like my nails were smothering.
Me too!!! I've never heard anybody else say nail polish made their nails feel like they were smothering.

It's like "help! help! we can't breathe!"

LOL

Mine are medium length, no polish. My toe nails are long and they're polished in the summer.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Short nails right now, they break, but use to bite my nails until about 5 yrs ago. Like clear polish but no time to put it on, like reading here and then sewing machine is calling my name.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM

I had fake nails for several years until I lost my job last year. I really miss them. They made feel pretty and feminine. However, now that I am sewing more I think they would be in the way. I also have taken up playing the guitar again after many years so it has kind of been a good thing.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM

I've always had short, not extra short, nails. This past Christmas my DH gave me a gift card to a nail salon, so I got my first set of acrylics. They were fairly long, but I did't think much of it til I got home. I couldn't do anything, including sewing & computer. Then my family had to zip my pants and put my jewelry on for me, I felt like an invalid. Lol After about 2 weeks of this I took the nail clippers to them, then when they started to loosen I was prying them off! Lol
Won't get long nails again!! Guess it's something you really have to get used to! :)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Used to have acrylic nails when the nail lady was my co-leader for girl scouts...we did our planning while she did my nails. When she quit doing nails I quit getting mine done. Tried a couple of other places but they did not do as nice work as Jan did. It ended up that the only other place in town was the oriental ladies & I could not understand what they were saying, even though they were nice and did a lovely job. Plus I decided that was $ that I had other uses for...like fabric!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Short and sweet.
Well not so sweet - really thin ones.
No polish.
No fake nails.
Jbj137 in SC
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Mine are just stubs to soft to grow. When they start to grow they split and tear on me, and fake are out of the qustion.
Same here. Mine also peel in layers. Horrible. Besides that I have arthritis and knobby knuckles. YUK !!! But hey, I am lucky to have two hands. But for the grace of God. My daughter makes beautiful jewelry and I could have loads of gorgeous rings if I wanted. Oh well....It must be a Massachusetts thing, LOL
Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
Mine (on their own) are nicely shaped, but are thin, brittle, and very fragile. Which is why I've done gel for most of the past 20 years [not counting a short period in the middle when I was an impoverished grad student and had to give them up]. I keep them like Patrice -- just long enough to look pretty, but short enough to type quietly and not get in my way. My nail lady uses a light (i.e., thin), clear gel and that's all -- the shiny finish looks like clear polish.

My hands used to be my one source of physical pride (which is partly why I started with the gel back in the '80s), but they aren't any more -- thanks to all my arthritic bumps and lumps. Now I'm just grateful for the days when I can still knit or quilt without hurting... [sigh]
same here. don't think I can knit anymore...maybe with very large needles. Now I go toward quilting !! let the machine do the work.