Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have trouble with light when you drive? >

Do you have trouble with light when you drive?

Do you have trouble with light when you drive?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have anti-glare coating on my glasses and that helps.
Same here
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I definitely have a LOT of trouble. Cannot drive in the rain, and rain at night????
pul-leaze!!! that's scary-dangerous for me.
Every light becomes a sparkling thingy that looks magnified and coming at me.
Everything glisten and reflects and all mirrors blind me.
I have to turn them...that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I try to never drive more than a mile or two from home at night and not in the rain.
That is all the advice I can offer, is not to do it!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM

medical transcriptionist here. could be cataracts, could be a couple of things. will almost positively not get better on its own. do go to doctor or find a clinic that can refer you, but start with your family doctor.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
People, you are not reading what I said! I have been to an ophthalmologist, I know I have cataracts, I am never going to manage having surgery. I also cannot wear vision correcting glasses to drive.

However, I do wear sunglasses. The problem happens WITH my sunglasses on. I will ask about the sunlight reactive and transition lenses.

And I do keep the windshield and mirrors very clean. I don't see any difference in the brightness effect with them clean or not, though.
if you can wear contacts, why can't you wear corrective lenses after surgery? you don't even know that they're there. why can't you wear vision-correcting glasses when you drive? loys of people wear contacts and then reading glasses, for example. and if you know you have cataracts and won't have surgery, are you just letting yourself go blind? if you do decide to allow yourself to go blind, then the whole glare question is moot, isn't it? what are you really asking?

lisanne, you make me so mad, i could spit!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM

the MT here again. I didn't mention that I am going blind, from a few different causes. none surgical, none fixable. thankfully, so far it is relatively slow although apparently that can change at any day. I have lost a lot of my focus and cannot do fine work any more. on bad days I have a hard time reading. I would happily give one of my eyes to be able to see the faces of those I love in the future. there may be a valid reason for you not to have surgery, but there are a lot of other options than just "the knife." sorry if this seems harsh, but I lose a little vision every damned month.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM

I got an e-mail recently saying to try wearing sunglasses when driving at night in the rain! I thought it was ridiculous but tried it anyway -- it actually worked! It cut the glare of oncoming headlights. Amazing.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Sun glare in late afternoon is common, unavoidable and dangerous. I keep sunglasses in the car for such times, and that helps but doesn't solve the problem.

Night driving is hard for me because I have double vision. I first noticed it about 4 years ago but just thought I needed a change in prescription. Went to the eye dr (opthamologist as opposed to an optometrist) and mentioned that I had difficulty reading unless I closed one eye to read. She immediately said "You have double vision!", and asked me several questions. My answers led the dr to believe that I've always had double vision - which explains a lot of 'visual difficulties" I have had all my life.

Long story short, almost two years later I'm on my 5th prescription and still read with one eye closed! Like others who replied, I prefer not to drive at night, but will do it when I have to.

So, as others said, you probably need to pay a visit to your eye dr.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM

I used transition lenses for several years. Day or night - They didn't seem to make a difference for me. My mother and son-in-law said the same thing about theirs. I am glad they help you, though!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
if you can wear contacts, why can't you wear corrective lenses after surgery? you don't even know that they're there. why can't you wear vision-correcting glasses when you drive? loys of people wear contacts and then reading glasses, for example. and if you know you have cataracts and won't have surgery, are you just letting yourself go blind? if you do decide to allow yourself to go blind, then the whole glare question is moot, isn't it? what are you really asking?

lisanne, you make me so mad, i could spit!
What I can't do is make myself have the surgery. It's not about wearing contact lenses. It's a phobia of having anyone touch my eyes.

I can't wear prescription glasses to drive because they distort my vision. They're fine for home or even walking around outside, but not for maneuvering a vehicle. That said, I do wear reading glasses over my contacts, and I of course wear sunglasses to drive.

Yes, I realize that the cataracts are going to ultimately blind me.

What am I really asking? I was asking what people with NORMAL (non-cataract) vision do to keep away sun glare in the late afternoon while driving. I was asking what products are on the market to dim the glare on a windshield or mirror. Miles of traffic slows down because everyone has trouble seeing at that time of day. NOT everyone has cataracts. This isn't ABOUT my cataracts.

I don't care if I make you so mad - you're fun to read when you're mad.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne

Cataract surgery is not going to be an option for me, and yes, I know the alternative. I can't let anyone even touch my eyes, not even at routine eye exams. It won't happen. Besides, I don't want anything artificial in my eyes. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
Lisanne, my mom had cataract surgery under general anesthesia because of her fear and sensitivity. She had the surgery when the cataracts limited her ability to do things she loved to do Hopefully, you will have a change of heart, as she did, when the time comes.