Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have/use athe circular attachment to your machine? >

Do you have/use athe circular attachment to your machine?

Do you have/use athe circular attachment to your machine?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dianna77984 View Post
Save money and just tape a regular thumb tack, point up, 1/2 distance from needle will make a circle twice that size and you can use any decorative stitch you want to. Use several strips f tape to prevent the tack from slipping. Play with it, you will be a mazed what all you can do.
When I bought my Rocketeer, the first quilt I made was a mock cathedral quilt. The instructions said to cut my fabric into circles and sew them together. I thought, "To heck with trying to sew perfectly around circles! I'll sew them into circles first, then cut them." So I measured out onto my cabinet, put a sticker to mark the spot, and used masking tape to hold a thumb tack point-upward. I put squares on the tack, spun them to be sure all I had the fabric centered well, and hit the pedal. I just watched the stitches go in a perfect circle - over and over and over.

I notice that, so far, no one has said, "Gee that thumb tack idea sounds good." So I guess nobody wants to try the homemade solution.

Oh, and I stuck a rubber eraser over the tack to keep the fabric in place while sewing.

Tate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352207[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mockcathwinquilt.jpg  

Last edited by tate_elliott; 07-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM

I decided that I'd prefer using the homemade one instead of spending the 32 for one. I was taught in a class how to use some tape, thumb tack and a pencil eraser (the ones like on top of a auto pencil) and it works great and does the same thing. You just move the thumb tack depending on how large you want your circle and it's universal. I don't mind buying things for my machine but if I don't have to then I don't.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
When I bought my Rocketeer, the first quilt I made was a mock cathedral quilt. The instructions said to cut my fabric into circles and sew them together. I thought, "To heck with trying to sew perfectly around circles! I'll sew them into circles first, then cut them." So I measured out onto my cabinet, put a sticker to mark the spot, and used masking tape to hold a thumb tack point-upward. I put squares on the tack, spun them to be sure all I had the fabric centered well, and hit the pedal. I just watched the stitches go in a perfect circle - over and over and over.

I notice that, so far, no one has said, "Gee that thumb tack idea sounds good." So I guess nobody wants to try the homemade solution.

Oh, and I stuck a rubber eraser over the tack to keep the fabric in place while sewing.

Tate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352207[/ATTACH]
check the post that came after yours; I keep my thumb tack and tape right by my machine. No since in wasting money if you don't have to. Most of my class did it this way and the ones who had the circular attachment their blocks were as good as the ones who used the tack.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The concept intrigues me but I can't think of things to do it with. You have to have the fabric quite stiff for it to feed properly in a circle. I would have to put stabilizer or wonder under onto the fabric to stitch the edge. If I use a fancy stitch the ends are not going to meet up properly. If I straight stitch the edge then I suppose you could use it for raw edge circles on top of another fabric square and carefully cut away the extra fabric. I could stitch a circle with a dryer sheet on top of the right side and then turn for Drunkard's Path blocks. All the things I think of would make a stiffer appliqué. What am I missing?
You are making this way to difficult. We made quilt blocks and used fancy stitches; no stabilizer needed. Sometimes we have a tendacy to over think things; it really is very simple. Try it with the thumb tack/tape and eraser head and see if you like it.