Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you know anything about crocking? >

Do you know anything about crocking?

Do you know anything about crocking?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

The more you wash them in hot water the less they will run....A few more washings should aleviate your problem...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Wash them with a cup of salt. It will set the dye. There was another post on here about this process. http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...r-t220663.html Good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 AM

I found out about crocking the hard way, I was given for a charity quilt a red duvet for the back, I now have a pale pink bed on my brand new elna, not happy.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 AM

I'm retired RN and one late summer night I was working the ER and two teenage girls were brought in by their parents demanding a drug test because their daughters hands were blue. The doc noticed they had on fancy jeans that appeared to be new. He asked them what they had done that evening. They had been to a friend's house for a BBQ and when they got home their hands were blue. The doc then asked what they had to drink and they replied cokes. He then asked if they their drinks were in a cup or can or bottle and they replied a can. He asked what they did when their drinks began to sweat and they replied that they had wiped their hands on the legs of their jeans. The parents were so surprised at his questions and a little put out as well. I explained that we saw this several times a year because the girls were wiping their wet hands on the jeans they were turning blue. The girls had not noticed it at the friends house because they were outside on the patio at dusk with very little light. I did commend the parents for their diligence in making sure their girls were drug free.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I found out about crocking the hard way, I was given for a charity quilt a red duvet for the back, I now have a pale pink bed on my brand new elna, not happy.
BUMMER!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
DH got some new blue jeans that I washed and dried. The dryer came out blue.
I thought there was a bleeding problem so I washed them again with some Shout
color catchers but they came out white. So I did a crocking test and rubbed a
piece of white fabric on the jeans and there it was...all blue. Now what to do?
I read that Retayne and Sythrapol won't help. Any ideas? I'm afraid everything
is going to turn blue wherever he sits. Argh.
Bleeding is a problem and I will wash all my material before using it now. I did "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" Put the design on with transferese, when soaking that off in cold water my embroidery thread bled. I tried various things which helped some. then I thought "OxiClean" This improved it much. So now I will finish that project.
So perhaps OxiClean would help. I use it for many things.
Janice
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM

I use to soak jeans and other fabric in salt water to set the color but have not had to do that in years.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Try a cup of kosher salt in the wash...works for me., Learned this trick years ago from a home ec teacher. Just had the opportunity to use it last night...I made a red and white quilt...prewashed it, made the quilt, gave it to DD. then some time later used the same fabric to make a valentines mug rug and it bled when i ironed it...she called last night and said GS peed on the quilt and how to wash it....I feared the worse and told her chances were good it would turn pink. But she used the salt, then gave it an extra rinse and it came out great.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Indigo dye is a different kind of dye it is a natural dye. It does not really ever permanently set like other dyes. If it did set like other dyes , our jeans would not fade they way they do... much different from other dyed fabrics. Ever wonder why the knees and wrinkled area around the crotch get those faded lines... its the color coming off from friction.
A few years back I had professional movers , and they( the moving company) forbid the movers from wearing jeans , because if they rubbed up against white walls color could come off onto the walls.