Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space? >

Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space?

Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 AM

The house we're in now is laid out different than most houses. The entry, dining and kitchen are all one area and the living room is a seperate room. I really like it. The townhouse we lived in was the "one giant room" design and I really didn't like it all that much.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM

We have the high ceiling for an open concept with living room, kitchen and dinning area, but we have a divider wall that goes almost to the ceiling, so it is nice.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM

When we retired we bought a mountain-side home that has the open concept. Back when I was entertaining a lot and had a child at home, I would have hated this. Now I love it! Besides, when I want to get away, I have a 12x33 foot room in the basement that is only for me and my quilting studio- that's where I "hide"!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM

LOL, I love this. This is real living. Thank you.

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I find the kitchen to be a busy, noisy, dirty, sometimes greasy room. There are always shopping bags and packages and dog food and human food coming in and going out. Every time I walk in the kitchen, 2 springer spaniels follow me. We call it The Food Room. They just know.

I want that room off in its own space. I don't want to look at it when I'm not in there. And I don't want anyone to know that i soak my dinner dishes while I enjoy some time in the chatroom in the evening. (Uh-Oh oops! Now everybody knows!)
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM

We used to have a house where the kitchen, dining room and living room were all in one room. Totally open there was a banister that separated the sunken living room.

I loved that I didn't miss any conversation when I was in the kitchen. BUT I hated when we had Christmas and 35 people sitting at two table as you could see the messy kitchen.

Now that we have moved to a smaller house and the kitchen has a wall between it and the living room it feels cozier.

I loved that larger house but did not fit into our retirement plans.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I would love to have a dining room into the kitchen area but this is an open plan for the kitchen combination dining well space I should say for a table !LOL

I want a BIG country kitchen, a small living room: because where does every one gather ? The Kitchen !! LOL
Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 PM

I love the open concept, that way when I'm cooking or cleaning I'm not alone. We don't entertain except for family so it works for us.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
mim

why don't you check around and see if there is a designer who could come up with some ideas -- folding screen, pull down screen to block off the counter A partial free standing wall -- I have an open layout in the winter place but really love my separate kitchen in the summer. It has openings in the walls so I can still keep in contact but no messy counters in view. I also have my french tinware molds on it. -- Mim

my kitchen open wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264854.jpe  
Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM

We had the open floor plan of a raised ranch when the kids were growing up and at the time I liked it because I could keep an eye on everything that was going on even if I was cooking. The noise however about drove me to drink!!

We now live in an old farmhouse with a separate country kitchen that is large enough to hold our dinning furniture. It's perfect for family gatherings and entertaining since the women tend to gather in the kitchen around the table and the men gather 'round the TV. There is an alcove with a wide open doorway that is meant to a DR off the living room but it holds my LA. I just put a cover over it when we have guests and it's not obtrusive to the living space. My sewing room is off the alcove so it's handy while quilting but I can close the door when we have guests. I guess I like the separate rooms best!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 PM

That is what I have only my kitchen and great room are one and the same. Tv is in garden (Florida type room.) Lived in an old farmhouse for 36 years with lots of smaller rooms. Dining room table sits on a diagonal separating kitchen would do it again in a heartbeat.