Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you Re-Gift or

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
    Why can't people just say, "now gifts please"?
    My answer to your question is that I say that all the time and then some friends say "I know you said no gifts, but, I just couldn't resist" or "It makes me happy to get you a gift". I say, but we said no gifts and I didn't get you anything. they make a sad face and say "that's okay". But not really. So I go get them something and they are happy. Hard to break the cycle.

About regifting - I pass things along.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I agree with Patrice, I put a sticky note on what ever the item is so I do not re-gift it to the person who gifted it to me. Sometimes the gift is a duplicate or something I just will never use. Do not see any thing wrong as long as it doesn't go back to the original gifter or is not used.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    re-gifting gets a bad rap because we assume the re-gifter is turning up her nose at the gift.
    that might be the case sometimes but there are good reasons for re-gifting.
    i get a lot of things that are quite nice, but that i can't use for one reason or another.
    by re-gifting, those things find the right home, where they will be loved and used.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Power Poster
    when my Mom died, we girls got / took first dibs on reclaimimg any gifts we had given to our Mom. we tried to give her good stuff - some of which she never used.

I would prefer that something be used rather than collecting dust.

I have selected things for people with good intentions, and the item was a miss. I have also received things that may or may not have been selected with good intentions that were misses.

I really don't care where the item came from if it's something I like!

This year, we had Christmas early with Granddaugters. One wanted both a hair dryer and a flat iron. I had a very old hair dryer and dgd # 1 roared when she saw the "retro" hair dryer that I gave her. She loved it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Do you mean giving something to someone as a"gift" that had been given to you by someone else as a " gift"? I mean, like wrapped, for special occasion? No way! If someone gives me a " gift" I look at it as something that person actually went out and thought about---rightly or wrongly---and purchased for me! If it something that I really will not use/want for whatever reason........I will "donate" to an organization.........for me to turn around and gift it is something that never enters my mind. Now, if I were to receive a "gift" that I somehow found out was re gifted to me....I would return it to giver with a few choice comments! ......and scratch that person off my friend list. That's just me......to me gift giving is a special effort, albeit, sometimes difficult, thing one does. If you don't want to shop for a gift.......gift cards are always there........now, please don't bite my head off for these comments, it's just the way I feel about this subject and since it was brought up for discussion,I joined in........happy gift giving......most of mine are gift cards btw.........given and received.......
    Lol, I wasn't going to respond but.....I DO "regift" and I see nothing wrong with it because it would never be anything used. I have a problem where I impulse buy..because I think it's darling or whatever. Then later I look at it and say....you know, so and so would really love this and it's just sitting here being unused. I do it with thought and intention. So to me it's not that I am just too lazy to shop. Also sometimes after I have bought something I feel guilty for spending the money on myself so I will "regift" it to my daughter because she and I have the same tastes! If I am regifting at Christmas, that person always received gifts I have purchased just for them, but then I will throw in one of those little regift items as just something a little extra. Sure would be sad if I thought someone would "give me a few choice comments."
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I, too, am in the regift camp. I'm also in agreement that as long as the gift is new and doesn't get given to the xrayperson who gave it, then there is nothing wrong with doing it. Money can be tight and I would rather regift something I couldn't/didn't use to someone who might otherwise not get as much from me. I sent a little embroidered owl that held a hand sanitizer on a key chain, to my dd along with a mini table runner. Both were little gifts from my guild Christmas party. Now I did send her other things that I had bought just for her, but I thought that they were some things she would like. I didn't wrap them just stuck them in the box.
    We also have an annual Christmas party at my church and we do a really fun gift exchange. I have regifted items for this and like someone else mentioned, it's encouraged. Lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    There is a CBC radio show called the Vinyl Cafe. One of the Christmas Shows is all about re-gifting. If you can find a podcast of it it is a great laugh.

I do regift. I also go to a Christmas Party each year where re-gifting is encouraged. Some of the items have been passed around for years now.

I am the only person in the family who makes any gifts. I generally give food items now.

I do not feel obligated to keep things that have been given to me.
    THANK YOU so much for the reminder of the Vinyl Cafe... I have read a few of their books & thoroughly enjoyed them! I didn't find the podcast of the regifting...but I did find the one about Dave cooking the turkey...so funny! http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/v...1220_55068.mp3

Back to the original question.... I can't say that I officially REGIFT.... but I certainly give my DD and sisters a chance to enjoy something that I have been gifted & know I will never use, does that count?

A special re-gifting.... The last few years my Mom was able to be in her home... she would place a few special dishes out on the table when it was our birthday & we got to choose one for our gift.... It was SPECIAL and in no way would any of us have felt slighted to receive something that she had received as a wedding gift many years before.... or as a gift from one of us kids or grandkids.... So many different ways of looking at things, isn't there?

I find it insulting to get a gift that was given to someone before. It seems...almost...deceitful. In turn, I tell my recipients that they may pass it on if they wish.

However, I do like re-gifting where everyone is participating and it is known ahead of time. It is the element of misrepresentation that I find insulting.

This is not about re-gifting but...my Mom, one year..gave me the gifts she bought and wrapped for me and the children the following September and it was kinda special. Because it could have been me doing that.

How would anyone know that they recieved an item that was "regifted" to them unless the giver told them???

Frankly, i have recieved plenty of gifts where minimal "thought" was given. Recently a good friend gave me a minky-like throw. I MAKE throws! I just exchanged it for some winter gloves. I could use the gloves and she will never know. The gloves are from her in my mind. Nothing deceitful in my mind.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

What a timely thread! On the evening news they mentioned that the people in the province of British Columbia, were the people in Canada, who regifted the most. Almost everybody I know regifts. In fact we went to a Christmas party that was a secret Santa party, and all the gifts had to regifts. It was so much fun.

When you give to charity, it is a gift. Therefore, when you give an unwanted present to Goodwill or Salvation Army you are indeed re gifting. Better than trashing it or setting it in the back of the closet for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynB View Post
    When you give to charity, it is a gift. Therefore, when you give an unwanted present to Goodwill or Salvation Army you are indeed re gifting. Better than trashing it or setting it in the back of the closet for 20 years.

Yup!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynB View Post
    I call that donating....in my mind big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Lol, I wasn't going to respond but.....I DO "regift" and I see nothing wrong with it because it would never be anything used. I have a problem where I impulse buy..because I think it's darling or whatever. Then later I look at it and say....you know, so and so would really love this and it's just sitting here being unused. I do it with thought and intention. So to me it's not that I am just too lazy to shop. Also sometimes after I have bought something I feel guilty for spending the money on myself so I will "regift" it to my daughter because she and I have the same tastes! If I am regifting at Christmas, that person always received gifts I have purchased just for them, but then I will throw in one of those little regift items as just something a little extra. Sure would be sad if I thought someone would "give me a few choice comments."

No what you are talking about, in my mind, is not re gifting.......you overbought or impulse bought something for yourself, then on second thought gave as a gift to someone else.

I have occasionally re-gifted an item that I would never use. I appreciate the thought (or sometimes just the effort because not a lot of thought seemed to be involved in the choice!!) of every gift I have received.

On the thought of 'sitting on a shelf for 20 years'--many years ago, my DH gave me a very expensive necklace that was absolutely not my style. I asked him if he minded if I returned it and chose something more appropriate. He said go ahead but I could tell that I had hurt his feelings deeply. I did return the necklace and chose another--which has never given me the pleasure that I know my DH felt, choosing to original. In hindsight, I should have kept the original even if I never wore it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

My whole family is re-gift-alicious and we make it fun. There's this football-shaped cheese dip warmer that's been getting passed around in the extended family for probably close to 10 years now - at this point it's almost considered a "prize" to get to be the one who stores it for the year until it's time to wrap it up and stick it under the tree again! Everybody laughs and cheers when someone unwraps that darn thing, LOL. It's still new in the box, technically!

My mom is very poor so her gifts are always either things she had around the house or inexpensive things that she's picked up at a thrift shop, usually along with home-baked cookies. It would be silly for her to go out and buy something for me considering I help her out each month and send extra money ahead of the holiday so she CAN buy some things for my niece and nephew. Some of the gifts she's given me are things that belonged to me as a child - those are some of my favorite gifts.

To me, it really IS the thought that counts, and whether they think of me in a store or if they think of me when they're digging around in their closet or someone's yard sale box that's totally good enough for me. If it's something I don't like or can't use I'll either re-gift or donate it without feeling the least bit of guilt.

I've even given a gift to a cousin and been cheerfully told, "Oh, I already have one of these just like this, I'll give this one to Mom!" and been perfectly happy with that. I gave the gift of them being able to give a gift - they were happy, so I was happy. Works for me!

I probably would be a little bit hurt if something I hand-made especially for someone was given away, but I wouldn't say anything about it. I would probably just think I needed to do a better job at gauging what that person likes because I didn't "nail" it last time. That hasn't happened yet though, to my knowledge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2