Do you Re-Gift or

Old 12-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I used to work at an agency and the Christmas party had a game theme. You could buy or bring an unused gift. Regifted was fine as long as you never used it. It was fun and no hard feelings. I also have regifted items received and donated them. I usually give them to the women's shelter.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM

A few times I have given a handmade gift to my Mom and also to my late Aunt, told them to enjoy it and then to gift to someone after a year. At my Mom's stage of life and at my Aunt's stage they had everything they ever wanted or needed but I wanted to give them something, but also not to burden them with stuff. They each liked that idea and did pass the gift along without any guilt 'because I made it'. Win-win situation.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 PM

Re-gifting has been around for a very long time...We were married in '75. I received a ceramic pie plate from my cousin. She had been married the year before, but she forgot to take their friend's card out of the box...we also got a Mix Master from my aunt and uncle. It had been a gift at their wedding...in 1956! They also left the other card in the box. Oddly enough, I was their flower girl!!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 AM

I see nothing wrong passing on gifts that you wont use. Of course, get rid of the evidnce! I like the concept that "things" will come into your life and eventually move on. I dont feel guilty about getting rid of "things" that hold no special place in my heart or home. Others may enjoy having it. Hence, the success of rummage sales and resale shops.

Sandy
Old 12-22-2014, 06:16 AM

Do you mean giving something to someone as a"gift" that had been given to you by someone else as a " gift"? I mean, like wrapped, for special occasion? No way! If someone gives me a " gift" I look at it as something that person actually went out and thought about---rightly or wrongly---and purchased for me! If it something that I really will not use/want for whatever reason........I will "donate" to an organization.........for me to turn around and gift it is something that never enters my mind. Now, if I were to receive a "gift" that I somehow found out was re gifted to me....I would return it to giver with a few choice comments! ......and scratch that person off my friend list. That's just me......to me gift giving is a special effort, albeit, sometimes difficult, thing one does. If you don't want to shop for a gift.......gift cards are always there........now, please don't bite my head off for these comments, it's just the way I feel about this subject and since it was brought up for discussion,I joined in........happy gift giving......most of mine are gift cards btw.........given and received.......
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
Why can't people just say, "now gifts please"?
My answer to your question is that I say that all the time and then some friends say "I know you said no gifts, but, I just couldn't resist" or "It makes me happy to get you a gift". I say, but we said no gifts and I didn't get you anything. they make a sad face and say "that's okay". But not really. So I go get them something and they are happy. Hard to break the cycle.

About regifting - I pass things along.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 AM

I agree with Patrice, I put a sticky note on what ever the item is so I do not re-gift it to the person who gifted it to me. Sometimes the gift is a duplicate or something I just will never use. Do not see any thing wrong as long as it doesn't go back to the original gifter or is not used.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
re-gifting gets a bad rap because we assume the re-gifter is turning up her nose at the gift.
that might be the case sometimes but there are good reasons for re-gifting.
i get a lot of things that are quite nice, but that i can't use for one reason or another.
by re-gifting, those things find the right home, where they will be loved and used.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

when my Mom died, we girls got / took first dibs on reclaimimg any gifts we had given to our Mom. we tried to give her good stuff - some of which she never used.

I would prefer that something be used rather than collecting dust.

I have selected things for people with good intentions, and the item was a miss. I have also received things that may or may not have been selected with good intentions that were misses.

I really don't care where the item came from if it's something I like!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM

This year, we had Christmas early with Granddaugters. One wanted both a hair dryer and a flat iron. I had a very old hair dryer and dgd # 1 roared when she saw the "retro" hair dryer that I gave her. She loved it!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Do you mean giving something to someone as a"gift" that had been given to you by someone else as a " gift"? I mean, like wrapped, for special occasion? No way! If someone gives me a " gift" I look at it as something that person actually went out and thought about---rightly or wrongly---and purchased for me! If it something that I really will not use/want for whatever reason........I will "donate" to an organization.........for me to turn around and gift it is something that never enters my mind. Now, if I were to receive a "gift" that I somehow found out was re gifted to me....I would return it to giver with a few choice comments! ......and scratch that person off my friend list. That's just me......to me gift giving is a special effort, albeit, sometimes difficult, thing one does. If you don't want to shop for a gift.......gift cards are always there........now, please don't bite my head off for these comments, it's just the way I feel about this subject and since it was brought up for discussion,I joined in........happy gift giving......most of mine are gift cards btw.........given and received.......
Lol, I wasn't going to respond but.....I DO "regift" and I see nothing wrong with it because it would never be anything used. I have a problem where I impulse buy..because I think it's darling or whatever. Then later I look at it and say....you know, so and so would really love this and it's just sitting here being unused. I do it with thought and intention. So to me it's not that I am just too lazy to shop. Also sometimes after I have bought something I feel guilty for spending the money on myself so I will "regift" it to my daughter because she and I have the same tastes! If I am regifting at Christmas, that person always received gifts I have purchased just for them, but then I will throw in one of those little regift items as just something a little extra. Sure would be sad if I thought someone would "give me a few choice comments."