Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you remember the Berenstain Bears? >

Do you remember the Berenstain Bears?

Do you remember the Berenstain Bears?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I used to read their books to my kids... quite a while ago!

Yesterday we received some pre-Quilt Market literature from Moda, and apparently they are going to be making a fabric collection featuring the Berenstain Bears.

This came as a complete surprise to me... Moda is not generally into licensed characters.

What do you think? Does Moda have a good idea here? Are the Berenstain Bears books still popular with kids today?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 AM

I think they still are, it's good Material to read. The local libraries still have them too.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I used to read their books to my kids... quite a while ago!

Yesterday we received some pre-Quilt Market literature from Moda, and apparently they are going to be making a fabric collection featuring the Berenstain Bears.

This came as a complete surprise to me... Moda is not generally into licensed characters.

What do you think? Does Moda have a good idea here? Are the Berenstain Bears books still popular with kids today?
maybe Moda knows something we dont. My kids are to old for the bears but maybe they are coming out with a movie or something, it thats the case I think it will be a big hit.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by mimom
Maybe Moda knows something we dont. My kids are to old for the bears but maybe they are coming out with a movie or something, it thats the case I think it will be a big hit.
You gave me a good idea! There is an official "Bears" website, and apparently in addition to marketing stuff (books, posters etc) the Bears go on tours to libraries across the country, plus there is a touring musical. And a permanent exhibit at the Strong Memorial Museum in Rochester, NY. (I used to take my kids there!) Here is what the exhibit info says:

Mama, Papa, Sister, Brother, and Honey Bear have moved into their new Bear Country quarters at Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York, for a dynamic new, permanent exhibit, The Berenstain Bears: Down a Sunny Dirt Road, produced by Strong in partnership with the Berenstain Family. The installation is a big hit...or as the Museum puts "so much fun you can bear-ly stand it!"

Your journey down the sunny dirt road start with life-size sculptures of the Bear family. Walk down Bear Country Main Street to explore the stores and businesses inspired by the Berenstain books.

There are so many things to see, do, and be in Bear Country! Design and sell quilts at Mama Bear’s Quilt Shop or put on an apron and tackle a project in Papa Bear’s Woodworking Shop. Hungry bears can head to Bear Family Restaurant, a kid-sized diner where you can play customer or be part of the staff. Dr. Bearson’s Dentist Office provides an opportunity to play dentist with a giant set of (removable) teeth, a giant toothbrush, floss, and a dentist’s mirror. There's Farmer Ben’s Farm, Sister and Brother Bear’s Club Houses, and the Bear Country School.

Quilts?? Did somebody mention ... quilts??
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 AM

We have their books and my daughters love to read them. The show on PBS is also a favorite.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM

I love the Berenstain Bears! My kids watch the cartoons and we have a few of the books.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Just sitting here I can see one that the grandkids were looking at and didn't put back on the shelf. So yes they are still around the kids like them.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

My kids loved those books!! We had fun reading them, so cute !
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 AM

we watch them everyday at 6 on pbs sprout!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

i'm sure it will sell. everyone loves cute bears, whether licensed or not