Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you use coupons at the grocery store? >

Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I buy generic brands for the most part at Food Maxx and they are generally cheaper than brand name products with coupons.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
years and years ago i use to use coupons and do what they called refunding, sending in boxtops or upc's for free products or money back. Did really well at it, but it lost its appeal when postage started going up. Now i just use store brands on most stuff, and shop at sav a lot or walmart
I did refunding too. I made bundles of free stuff, cash, etc. The mess was worth it to me. I'd easily send in for 50 or more per month. They just don't offer that anymore.

Shopping with coupons takes me almost twice as long. But a good side is that when I spend over $50, I get 15 cents off per galloni of gas at the next door station.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Shopping with coupons takes me almost twice as long. But a good side is that when I spend over $50, I get 15 cents off per galloni of gas at the next door station.
That's nice! Do you have to shop with coupons to get that, or just spend that much money?

We get 10 cents/gallon off at Giant, but we have to spend over $100 to do it. And it has to be within certain date ranges. They're big enough ranges, but once I forgot to use my Giant card and had over 200 points, and they expired before I realized it. <sigh>
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM

No coupons, other requirements. Just a total of $50 dollars at a time. It's pretty easy to spend that much, even for just my family of me and my honey. So we fill up two cars at once on the same pump to get a discount. Our gas just raised to $2.89.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I clip coupons, does that count? I try to use them, but usually the coupons are for things I don't need. I do like to use them for things I've never tried before. I pass them on to friends.
I don't think just clipping the coupons counts for a whole lot---you have to actually USE them in order to save money :)

I find that coupons are not as good as they used to be. Most of the coupon section now seems to consist of ads for bras, upside down tomato plants, shoes, dolls, etc. What ever happened to coupons in the coupon section????
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Another way to save: Some supermarkets have a policy that if they overring you on an item, you get the full amount back for that item. It can be because the item rang up at the full price rather than the sale price, because the shelf price was different, the sign was misleading, etc.

I always check my receipt before leaving the store. Even if your store only refunds the amount you were overcharged, you want that money back. And overrings happen very frequently in some stores. I've gotten some great things that way: bags of shrimp, gourmet cookies, makeup.
Wow---good point! I never thought about checking my receipt to make sure I am not being overcharged. I will be watching my cashier a little more closely from now on.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
I do use them and when I lived for a few years in AZ my sis in CA sent me coupons from the papers. They are much higher in value here in CA. Stores dont double out coupons so you can easily get .50 c coupons regularly. I would make the people in AZ drop their jaws with my coupons. Like hey! That wasn't in MY PAPER! I need every penny too. My friends save them for me and I spend one hour a week just poking through them. I shop for what is on sale and that I can use a coupon for at the same time.
My husband used to travel with his job and would bring me Sunday coupons from different cities. It wads amazing to me how much the value of the coupons changed from one part of the country to another. But, I guess the cost of living is different too--so the coupons are a reflection of that. I still loved it when I had really good ones, though!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM

I just did a grocery shopping trip today. I used coupons and the store" discount card and saved $139.00. It is a pain to cut out the coupon and do the comparison as I shop but with results like this...it makes it worth it.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

i shop by unit pricing and i find that at shoprite the house brand is almost always cheapest, even with coupons. but....i don't know if everyone noticed this. tuna cans have gone from 6.5 ounces to 5 ounces. at the same or higher prices. and they say 'net weight' which means without the water. if you weigh it, you'll freak out. i wrote to every single tuna company and complained about this fraudulent practice and said how disappointed i was in them, blah, blah. i wasn't looking for anything - i was just frustrated. all except bumble bee sent me coupons for 5 cans or $10 worth of products or something. it really pays off when you're feeling taken advantage of, to say something to the powers that be. it taught me a lesson.

my store does double coupons up to .50. they won't give you more than $1.00 back on anything. and i do use my card. oh, and before the holidays, they count points for a free turkey or ham or 5 lbs of matzah, which binds you up 'til next passover. just recently i got a 7.5 lb frozen meat lasagna. what holiday was that? my anniversary?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

yes yes and yes!!! I just used them today and saved BIG.

I joined Grocerygame.com got a free 4 week trial

I learned that you can easily match coupons to whats on sale, and that site helps you find the sales and those coupons.

I dont go anywhere with a coupon.