do you use your china?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Use your "good" as often as possible. Believe it or not it will dry out and the next thing you know there is a chip in grandmas china. I have a set I use all the time They do get broken or chipped but easy to order new pieces, and you have enjoyed it. I gave received family china to grands.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the reminder. Am going to unpack china today and start using it ! I have the china that husband and I accumulated and only used for special occasions; now that we are not together I think that is a "special" occasion ! We didn't do the traditional china stuff; we bought place settings of several different patterns, which really makes for a beautiful table. I also have my late MIL's china. Need to get that out and give to my SIL.

I also use our silver tableware; actually spent yesterday afternoon cleaning it, which I enjoy !

At this point in my life (I'm 64) why not use the finer things I have ? My children will probably inherit this stuff but they don't really care, which is ok.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the reminder. Am going to unpack china today and start using it ! I have the china that husband and I accumulated and only used for special occasions; now that we are not together I think that is a "special" occasion ! We didn't do the traditional china stuff; we bought place settings of several different patterns, which really makes for a beautiful table. I also have my late MIL's china. Need to get that out and give to my SIL.

I also use our silver tableware; actually spent yesterday afternoon cleaning it, which I enjoy !

At this point in my life (I'm 64) why not use the finer things I have ? My children will probably inherit this stuff but they don't really care, which is ok.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM

I think for many families the concept of special dishes, used daily or kept for special occasions, has outlasted today's lifestyles.
In my case, the kids are spread out across the country, many people cannnot travel because airline tickets/gas is prohibitive &, so, huge family get-togethers are becoming increasingly rare.
The biggest advantage to having special china would be as a visual reminder of occasions(getting to know people we have only heard of, and ,best of all, hearing the "family stories" that DO connect us all).
(Of course, that has to compete with sports & parades on T.V.) :?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I do use my china. It was a gift to me many years ago and cost 39 dollars for the whole set. lol If I had great china I would use it because I refuse to put things away for my family to go through later and wonder why it was packed away. My mom was bad about that saving something for a special occasion and we threw away box after box of beautiful napkins, pillow cases, tableclothes and even scarves that had been stored for so long that they had rotted or yellowed so much they could not be used.
I have an aunt that always sets her Noritake china out even for children.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 AM

I have my own plus my mother-in-law's Franciscan ware and a set of Christmas china that I recently "inherited." I use them all several times a year; not as often as I should. What keeps me from it is that my dishwasher is brutal--incredibly hard on dishes--and I'm frankly not inclined to wash them all by hand.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Yes! Mikasa for everyday and Noritake for special occasions. I use my good china - cuz who am I saving it for? I use my crystal glasses too.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
I have my own plus my mother-in-law's Franciscan ware and a set of Christmas china that I recently "inherited." I use them all several times a year; not as often as I should. What keeps me from it is that my dishwasher is brutal--incredibly hard on dishes--and I'm frankly not inclined to wash them all by hand.
that is a very good point.
Here I was thinking, yall areright. My grandmas blue china is so pretty why not use it.

Thats a good reason. Will it survive the dishwasher!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Never used it, passed it on to my DDIL years ago, don't miss it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Inheritet a set of Rosenthal from my grandmas dowry and love it dearly. We use it on the weekends and of course during the holidays. It makes a meal special, every time we use it :).

Other than that, I have a set of everyday dishes.