Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you watch Barefoot Contessa cooking show? >

do you watch Barefoot Contessa cooking show?

do you watch Barefoot Contessa cooking show?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 AM

I like Ina Garten, but she does use a lot of fat in her food. I like Giada DeLaurentiis recipes, but can't stand her cutesy attitude. She's obviously very taken with herself. She wasn't always like that. Her recipes are good if you can stand to watch her.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

I have a degree in culinary arts so I don't watch the show for cooking. However I sometimes watch Barefoot Contessa because at the beginning of the show they have a picture of tht Long Island Sound and if she happens to go to a store for something she travels on the roads I know very well. Watching her show reminds me of home....a home that I ache for.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
KLO

I am getting hooked on Jaime Oliver because of the healthier/fresher meals he is now preparing. Watched him do a mixed tomato salad not too long ago and I wanted to go over and lick the TV. Alton Brown is good also and I used to watch his show all the time but don't get to seem him much now. My son, who is also a chef, went to the same culinary school as Alton but was a year behind him.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Lively discussion here :)
I have liked Ina Garten from Day 1 because of her soft voice. I also like her adorable husband popping in from time to time.
Others I watch on occasion are Nigella Lawson (her books have fun language just like she speaks, ie, soundly beating a pork chop), Mike Chiarello (he has a nice voice, relaxed demeanor, down to earth), and Julia Child reruns crack me up. Some others I quit watching when every time they bend over a mixing bowl something is about to fall in it.... if you know what I mean. Just not interested in a cooking show being sexed up.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM

I use Mr. Food and Rachel Ray for quick easy recipes. You know...........have to get back in the sewing room TO QUILT, tee hee!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

All I like to watch is Paula Deen. I dont like how she fills her mouth,and chews with it open,get tired of "ya'all" ,but the food she fixes looks soo good and I still like her. She seems REAL,and her boys are cute too.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

I really like Alton Brown on Good Eats , but I would also be fairly happy not to have a kitchen or since housed come that way - have a cook.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM

I love Paula Deen, and the way she talks, not unlike some people. She also uses a lot of butter but so do I. And I do like Ina. Love her house and Paulas. But food is fun.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM

LOL well Paula is Paula. The neeleys I don't watch, it is just not worth my time. There are many good chefs on both the foodnetwork and cooking Channel. I have several cookbooks of Nigella and love the recipes. Took me a bit to get used to Fieri, and how they eat well .. ummm have ya put a mirror in front of yourself to see how you eat lately ? LOL well that is mho!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Cooking Shows:
I have learned a lot from them. I watch the shows more for the cooking personalities than for the food. Paula was a homebound shutin for 10 years and almost broke. Used $200 to start her business...now she is a success. Giada DeLarentas had to go against her family because they are in the movie business and wanted her to be an actress...she chose to go her own way to culinary school. I think she is real and not phoney...now she is a success. Rachel Ray started with her family teaching her about cooking, and worked her way up doing it her way...now she is a success. They are all real and started at the bottom and have made it. IMHO

P.S. I definitely agree about the Neeley's...Get a motel room!!