Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone care to answer this question???? >

Does anyone care to answer this question????

Does anyone care to answer this question????

Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM

the 21 to 23 dollars postage is the price for the large dolls that go out free to the real sick kids. Hopefully it will only be 2 to 4 for the turtles. Lightweight mailing envelopes.

Thanks for the help and caring reply.

Vickey

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
there'd be no point in trying to sell them in the QB Thrift Shop.
we cannot sell here for profit - even if our stated personal intent is to donate those profits to charity.

given their apparent size, you are spending much more than necessary if you're paying $20 or more postage.
you could fit at least two or three of those into one padded flat rate envelope.
unless they're stuffed with something heavy, rather than poly-fil, even flat rate might be more postage than necessary.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
try your Senior Center and quilt guilds in your area. they do have craft shows. good luck.
thanks. I think the senior center keeps the profit, and not sure on quilt guild. They did donate lots of fabric and stuffing to help...and it did! HUGS
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 AM

I'm not sure if I understand. You want to sell the turtles? And there's a $4 charge to mail them somewhere? And it cost $23 to mail a doll?? $23?? How big is the doll - life size? Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I can't see selling the turtles for much because adding a $4 shipping charge would put them too high, UNLESS you only position them as a thank you for sending a donation, and send one out to the donor for free. And use someone else's suggestion of a fundraising quilt raffle/ auction for more money. (And perhaps make a smaller doll that's less costly to ship.)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM

I sent for boxes that they said. "If it fits...it ships. Well I crocheted 5 neck scarves for the Special Olympic Game, and when I got to the post office they said it would cost me $12.00 and some cents. When I told they what their slogan was, they just laughed. Well I sent them, but it`s too bad I`ll never do it again. The yarn was about $3.00, even if I really enjoyed making them, and wanted to help out a little.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM

If it fits it ships, only works if you have the FLAT RATE SHIPPING BOX. I made a mistake once and just had a regular priority mail box and it was more money. I believe that you can ship up to 75 # in the flat rate box.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Have you thought about making the raffle quilt and having your church raffle it for you you receive the profit I believe this is your mission work and most churches support mission programs
This is such a good thing you do out of the kindness of your heart
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Is it possible to put the doll(s) in a plastic bag-similar to a space bag-and sucking the air out? You might be able to ship more than one in the box, and they should fluff up nicely when opened. Definitely shop around for shipping fees, and remember, the first pound is ALWAYS the most expensive. You may be able to squish two or three in the same box and save yourself quite a bit. I'm assuming of course, that the dolls are fabric and squishing won't be harmful to them. I certainly wouldn't want your hard work damaged!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 AM

seldom mail more then one at a time out, as each doll is a single gift to a boy or girl in need, but that idea of 'shrinkwrap' is sure a good idea. Thanks for writing me about it. GOd Bless. Hope you got to read my newest posted story (under my ID blogs) MEMAW TO DIXIE.

Vickey Stamps (AKA wordpaintervs)