Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mary Ellen
One time, I had a daughter who was called to the front of the classroom. Her teacher ordered her to turn around, then she unbuttoned her dress (it buttoned down the back), she was so certain that we had lied on our form to get free lunches...and this garment was her imagined way to prove we had more money to spend than we had claimed. To her surprise, no fancy label, just another "home made" dress.

I had conference with the principal over this issue, you can be sure.
Then I did the right thing to do.
I started offering up sewing lessons to the women of that poor, small community so their children could be better dressed, and they could learn how to turn "a pigs ear into a silk or linen purse".

Mary Ellen
[email protected]
You sound like a very resourceful lady. Great suggestions. It sounds like your skills are absolutely phenomenol!

I'm glad you had a conference with the principal about that teacher - how embarrassing for your daughter! How did your daughter react? What happened to that teacher?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM

In years past I have made denim western shirts, lined denim jackets, swim suits, panties, dresses, etc. I recall one year my daughter needed a nice outfit for a band concert.
She was rather insulted when I told her I would make her a dress to wear. None to happy to followed me in tow to the store, picked out her fabric and pattern. At the concert, several of her friends said "I thought you said your mom was making your dress!". She told them, "She did!".
Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

I am making with the help of my friend plus size maternity clothing for myself when she comes to visit next weekend. I am 6ft2 and the only way i can really get clothing right now to not look like a large ill fitting sack is to make my own clothing. Wearing hubbys oversized shirts is getting to get old! Come on Sept 13th!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM

I never made my own clothes, but I did for the kids when they were little....now its just quilts for me!
~Bj~
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Too cute! The darling baby and the cute, cute outfits. Good Job.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM

I have gone back to making my own. since I don't have an horglass figure and I take meds for acid reflux, I stick with the unisex scrub patterns and mens pajamas patterns and such and find I need to do less altering of the pattern. If I need to dress for something special , I have 2 skirt outfits I found second hand which actually had the tags on and they are made from a knit fabric. Every day wear I am not paticular just so my bums and other body parts are not exposed. And I like the material I pick out better than store made , which has limited choices and often find my size is not available or already been sold out.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM

When my sisters were little I sewed for them. One day Grandma asked them where they got their new dresses and the told her I made them. Grandma said "but the they have labels". Sister said" But Grandma did you read the labels?" I had my own labels.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM

I am getting ready to make my gown for DS's wedding in June. It is a pale aqua color. The bodice with have a sheer layer over it with some sparkles.

Nothing fancy, just a flowy gown.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
When my sisters were little I sewed for them. One day Grandma asked them where they got their new dresses and the told her I made them. Grandma said "but the they have labels". Sister said" But Grandma did you read the labels?" I had my own labels.
That was adorable...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mswordwiz
I am making with the help of my friend plus size maternity clothing for myself when she comes to visit next weekend. I am 6ft2 and the only way i can really get clothing right now to not look like a large ill fitting sack is to make my own clothing. Wearing hubbys oversized shirts is getting to get old! Come on Sept 13th!
6ft2, wow, I can imagine you have trouble finding clothes! I have a hard time finding mat clothes and I'm only 5'4".

Actually, aside from a few shirts I bought, most of my mat pants are just regular pants that i've altered to fit with a maternity waistband because nothing ever fits me properly.