Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone??? Do Tell!

Does anyone make a menu plan for their meals? If so, do you stick to it or is it a waste of time?

My daughter does to help her with her weekly budget and with getting meals prepared. She's got a 4 yr. old, a 2 yr. old and a 6 mo. old, so she's a very busy mom.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Sounds very boring to me!! But the whole kitchen bores me. My DH loves to cook & grocery shop so I married the right man! :D

plans are good. While not always adhered to...good.

I don't but it would probably help if I did.

Blog Entries
    It does save time. I don't know about money. I tend to just keep staples on hand and plan my meals around what ever is on sale.

Power Poster
    No.

But when push comes to shove, I can put together a decent meal.

No. I do kind of plan around the sales section and what I have at home. If hams on sale this week, we will eat lots. Ham dinner one night, scalloped pot. with ham the next. Maybe hot ham and cheese sandwhiches the next night. Omlets with ham the next.........just that type of thing. Same with roast, or turkey,ect.

Blog Entries
    I make a menu plan for our meals all of the time..that is how I stay organized and not make quick trip to store and spend extra money....We love it..I think it saves budget ..plus I don't have to hear every day "What's for dinner?" they all go look at the menu. It's a good thing!

My daughter and son-in-law have a share in a collective, and also like to buy local food, so she makes a loose list, based on what they get that week or what looks good and fresh. She plans 7 meals, but not necessarily which day she will use/make what.

She is a chef and a nutritionist. Also a little compulsive.

I am more a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl.

I make menus for two weeks at a time and go shopping every two weeks. When I was a young mom I did this for a month of menus/groceries. Was the best way I could keep to our budget - have always been paid once a month.

For several years when we were first empty nesters I got so far away from that I found myself in the grocery store every 3 - 4 days. Now that my husband is having health issues and the money is getting tighter and tighter I went back to the menus and list - but for the two weeks, not four.

My menus are a list of meals - doesn't mean we eat a particular meal on that particular day, but that's what I have the groceries for. For 14 days I plan about 9 meals. The rest are leftovers or ocassional meal out.

During the summers (my husband and I both teach) I include lunches in the menu. During the school year I take leftovers or Weight Watchers frozen meals for lunch; my husband eats in the school cafeteria. We each the same breakfast every morning - boring, but true - and I keep things on hand for each of those.

My daughter does the same way - which I find funny. She always thought I was WAY too organized!

If I am shopping by the week, I will plan 7 dinners, and 7 breakfasts, lunch is whoevers choice. I don't have "hamburgers on Monday or Tuesday, just burgers, chicken, tacos, etc, Works for me, and we do save money that way I also have a list on the fridge for things out of the pantry need replacing.

Blog Entries
    Going back to Flylady and her menus, they rock!!
    Saves me money, even though I'm an empty nester.
    Sister is coming to stay for awhile, that's when it will really help me. We can get together and write in both our likes and leave out the "Well, maybe when h*** freezes over".

We did when we were doing South Beach... saves alot of time, whats for dinner? etc. made for more healthly meals. with out schedules, just make them so there is some flexabiltiy, like changing out the sides.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I cant ever stick to a menu, my day changes from day to day.. Plus hubby will ask for something specific from time to time so I fly by the seat of my pants and just buy lots of everything..

No, but I really need to do it & stick to it. It saves time, money & heartburn - cause if you've already got what you're going to eat figured out, it's just much easier & better.

Never do I plan ahead. Well...sometimes...like I think we will have chicken stir fry tomorrow,,,but when tomorrow comes I am busy quilting so honey....can you stop at Arby's on the way home??? Yay!!!! With just the two of us here now, don't have to keep to a strict menu anymore. We eat whatever we have a taste for. Hubby is easy to please, he will eat whatever as long as there is plenty of it.

I make the menus, buy the food....eat out ha ha

I used to when I had ALL my children at home and I was working. It helped me tremendously when I went to the grocery store. I haven't done it in years.

Been there, done that. Waste of time now. The kids are gone and it's just me and DH. We'll eat something easy or some takeout.

Between Frankfurt and Heidelberg, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I make a menu plan for our meals all of the time..that is how I stay organized and not make quick trip to store and spend extra money....We love it..I think it saves budget ..plus I don't have to hear every day "What's for dinner?" they all go look at the menu. It's a good thing!
    Same to me, although I struggle sometimes and have to keep up with this good idea.

Blog Entries
    We are in the grocery store every single day. I don't like frozen meat, so I buy fresh for whatever we are going to eat that particular day. I buy fruit everyday also. I'm getting pretty good at not buying things other than what I go in there for though..that took lots of years of practice.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I DO !!! I need to. I did Weight Watchers and that is one of the things they really stress to help stay on point. It also helps take alot of stress out of the week.

I like the above poster just make a list of what we are making for the week, which night we have them is totaly up to whats going on that day.

I plan my week out on Friday evening, do most of the cooking in a couple hours on Saturday; then only have to reheat thru the week. It's HUGE help. We're up at 4a, out of the house by 5, by the time we're done with work, taking care of the pets, exercise class, etc; it's 7pm. I'm tired and HUNGRY. A few minutes in the microwave, or in the oven while we shower, and dinner's done! I save the complicated meals for the weekend.
    We do the same thing for our lunches thru the week; Anything that can be prepared as a 'grab & go' gets done on Saturday the same time I'm preparing dinners.
    Here's a Sample Week:
    Spagehtti
    Chicken & vegetable stirfry
    Spinach & black bean enchiladas
    Shepards pie
    Cheater Chicken & dumplings
    The noodles, rice and chicken and beef, are cooked on Saturday.
    Spinach enchilada mix is made Saturday.
    All you have to do is combine with one or two other ingredients & heat up. ( oh yeah made the dumplings... easy)
    Mashed potatos are from Weekend meal,

Blog Entries
    we sort of do, we sit down together and discuss what meals we would like to make for the next 2 weeks and i (build) my list from this ... we do not necessarily have a strict ... having chicken on monday, meatloaf on tuesday type of menu, but more we have this to choose from today. works out great for us, saves me lots of money and keeps the kitchen organized.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast