Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone else still darn socks? >

Does anyone else still darn socks?

Does anyone else still darn socks?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 AM

My DH loves his knitted wool socks, he likes them high up, nearly to the knees. I knit them for him, add an extra really fine wool when I make the heel and the top front bit to give it extra strength. So when they do get thin, mainly up the front I darn them and when I can't darn anymore because they really get too thin everywhere, then I cut them off around the ankle and just knit another foot to it with a same or similar colour. He's got them for years!!!! :P
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 AM

Definetly, I mend mine and my husband's
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 AM

I do.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 AM

I thought it was the thing to do when I was a new bride, but my DH didn't like the feel of my mending. So he patched his own with band-aids. I couldn't understand why, when I would do the laundry , why there were band-aids stuck to his socks only, until I asked . Now after 44 yrs of marriage, he uses his socks w/holes for rags in the garage.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM

I darn blue jeans for my son and husband. They wear out at the pockets from taking wallet in and out. The rest of the pants are perfectly fine so it makes sense to darn the holes and extend their life. Not easy to do because of the flat felled seams that form the pocket, but over the years I've figured out a pretty good system. I also mend our American flags that get whipped around pretty good each day. Just finished one yesterday and used my walking foot, great tool as it held on to the slippery fabric and stitching was very easy. With prices the way they are today you have to try and extend the life of clothes, etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 AM

Just finished darning a nice warm pair of wool socks with some wool yarn from my knitting stash. Watched a History Channel program while darning, and the socks were done by the time the program was over! The wool socks are worth saving, I believe!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Years ago there was such a thing as darning thread - it was soft and pliable, and unless the darner did a bad job - it was not a lump to feel when you wore it... I wish I could find that thread again - plain thread is a bit too coarse. Embroidery thread would not hold up - and yarn is too bulky - so is there still a source for darning thread - it came on a ball. Wish I had my grandmother's stash that I can bet got burned or thrown out - but that too would eventually be used up - just have not found the source to get more of it. I'd love to save some of the expensive socks my dh wears out - he has one bad foot from cancer surgery and he wears the socks out so easily, as he walks crooked with his foot - but the socks are of the thick and absorbent kind to keep the foot healthy - so like to save them as much as possible. any ideas?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM

My lips are sealed. I do enough patching and repairs, there's no way I'll open my mouth about this one.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM

go to this site for instructions on darning. another site i looked at said darning yarn was very hard to find but you could use embroidery thread - 1 strand for thin socks and 2 strands for heavier socks. http://www.ehow.com/how_648_darn-sock.html

i saw somewhere that you could use fine wool yarn or baby yarn depending on what your socks were made of
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM

I tend to wear the cheapie socks so it's not worth it to darn the socks. However, when I learn to knit socks, I will be darning those. :)