Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone else suffer with SVT???? >

does anyone else suffer with SVT????

does anyone else suffer with SVT????

Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 AM

it is supraventricular tachycardia....not life threatening but very unpredictable...I was on betapace pill that caused Ashma and not am on something else but get "break throughs" all the time...how do you live with it.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I had it get really out of control about 6 years ago, the doc did a cardiac ablation on it and it is gone :lol:

The meds did not control mine . The ablation was fairly painless , out patient. they go up thru the groin , find the area that is triggering the episodes and zap it :thumbup: I don't regret it .
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I had it get really out of control about 6 years ago, the doc did a cardiac ablation on it and it is gone :lol:

The meds did not control mine . The ablation was fairly painless , out patient. they go up thru the groin , find the area that is triggering the episodes and zap it :thumbup: I don't regret it .
this is my last resort and I've been trying meds...about ready to give up...I hate taking medicine anyway...thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

For me the surgery was the only real solution and I don't regret it :thumbup: I know of another person who had to have it done twice , so it is not perfect, but definitely worth a try. Like you I hated having to take meds and the meds never stopped mine .

The surgery is scary ( I mean they are playing with your heart after all :shock: LOL) but afterward you are sore for a couple of days and then you are fine . No meds , no problems. Mine started in my 20s got worse in my 30s , had it done when I was 38. Never looked back
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
it is supraventricular tachycardia....not life threatening but very unpredictable...I was on betapace pill that caused Ashma and not am on something else but get "break throughs" all the time...how do you live with it.
I have atrial fibulation sp?I rarely have a normal rhythm. I take digoxin for it,but it never really goes away. I hardly notice it anymore unless I get the racing heart episodes.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I have atrial fibulation sp?I rarely have a normal rhythm. I take digoxin for it,but it never really goes away. I hardly notice it anymore unless I get the racing heart episodes.
Katiebear again. Just got back from my cardiologist. Had a stress test, The one where you are injected with the radioactive stuff and then they take pictures and then you do the treadmill and take pictures again. If they are not all backed up it takes 2 and a half hours, Well they were totally backed up today! My appt. waS FOR 11 AM, I got home at four forty five! and it only takes 20 minuets to get there. The whole time I was waiting I was thinking about all my lovely quilting projects waiting at home. Luckily I had my Kindle with me:)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:45 PM

My sister had it and had the ablation. Best thing she ever did.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Wow did not realize so many on the board had this. I had SVT and had the ablation, best thing I ever did. But now I have atrial fib. I was meds free for about 3 years before the atrial fib came about. I take Tambacore (sp) twice a day and it stays under control for the most part. WHen I had the SVT it took awhile to find a medication that worked for me. In the end I was on Rythmol and that worked the best. When I got atrial fib. they put me back on that but when I asked if there was something I could take that would not make me so tired he switched me to tambacore.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Linda,
I would ask dr about having the ablation. You wont regret it. I had break thrus all the time and had to be hospitalized about 4 times for it. If you are having break thru's may need another kind of medication or if you have the ablation no more meds.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM

thanks everyone, nice to know I'm not alone. LOL, Doctor did not recommend ablation as he had a patient that had it done twice...scary. He called my heart doc and he said try another med and if that doesn't work, need to reconsider. The one thing I notice with the meds is periods of extreme weakness...H...L to get old, but not choice