Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone know self defence? >

Does anyone know self defence?

Does anyone know self defence?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
The only self defense I ever learned was the 'center of gravity' slap. Puts EVERYONE on the ground, so I can leave. Worked for me.
What is the 'center of gravity' slap?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the great tip.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM

If someone tries to force you into you car, throw your keys as far as you can onw way and run the other. They are more likely to go for your keys than you.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
One nasty thing to remember is that you have teeth. Army brother mentioned that about women being raped, move around till you have a good chance to "kiss" him, it will surprise him long enough to grab hold of his throat and hang on. Maybe even cut his throat, but who cares!! STAY THERE TILL HE IS ALMOST UNCONSCIOUS!! Then leave fast, perhaps kicking him in the teeth and between the legs as you go.
And there are a few other places that are very sensitive to being hurt. It'll take his mind off rape, pretty darn fast.
Remember those circus acts, where a woman hangs by her teeth in the air and stays there for a long time? Your mouth is very strong.
I have to admit my mouth does seem to get more exercise than the rest of me. The problem with fighting is that it's best to use that as a last resort if you think you're likely to die if you don't. Pain will arouse anger and make a dangerous person more dangerous. It's not a good idea unless you are quite sure of your strength. I'm in my 60's, not very fit, have osteoporosis and I'm much smaller than the average male. My best bet is to avoid situations were I'd be most vulnerable, keep doors locked and the phone handy, and to stay alert and trust my gut if anything seems not quite as it should be. When I go shopping, especially alone, I do not wear jewelry or flashy clothes, and I always wear comfortable shoes. In heels, I couldn't outrun a turtle.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
I also heard that Wasp spray (20ft) can do more harm then pepper spray? It was said that a woman living alone should keep some by bed and main room and if work in office on desk. Most people do not expect to be sprayed with it. If they get some in eye must go to hospital for care.... Have any of you heard this.. And when I worked at Mental Health the police came to teach self defence, only an afternoon class. Not as intense as yours. Proud of you and your girls as it is very impostant to know. (((hugs)))
Nope. But bear spray will blind them. That is what I would choose.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
We got free training at work...I worked in a prison...so we had to know self-defense.
Hey, me too! I thought it was funny that we had to learn how to revive someone before they would teach us the choke hold. I guess we could kill them, but then we had to revive them!

Seriously, when you go to your car look around. If there is someone sitting in the car next to your driver's side, go back in and have security walk you out. When you get in your car, lock the door and leave immediately. Often we will get out our sunglasses, look at our receipts, check the mirror, etc. Don't do it. Just drive away. We need to think and be aware of our suroundings.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tuppermern
My father always told my sisters & I to klick a guy "you know where"! The course I took said never to do that because it makes them angrier. We were taught to hold our hand up in front of us & look for the letter L. (from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger. If someone tries to attack you---what their windpipe wirh the L of your hand! It'll give you long enough to run by the time they catch their breath. Makes sense to me!
If you do this slightly lower, on the top of the chest, and put all your weight into it, starting at your own shoulder, instead of holding it out front of you, that IS the 'center of gravity slap'. There is no way to brace for this move. Gently, try it on your family. (That is a good way to work into self defense discussions at home.) Whomever you hit, will land on their a--s! Then, you can run like hell 'screaming like a crazy woman (or man)' to find help! I once had to use it on a guy 6'6'' and I am only 5'6". I was shocked that it worked so well, which is what I was thinking, as I ran like hell!

Just a thought - to kick someone 'there' you have to move closer to them.........Whack hard, and run like hell sounds so much safer!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
First defence, is know what's going on around you at all times.

Stay off the cell phone while in parking lots. A cell phone is a must for anyone who drives.

Also, for single women especially, get receipts for every purchase. Using a credit-debit card can also be useful in case something bad would ever happen. Also get receipts, even for those small, less than $5 purchases, everything.

Be careful when typing in pin information these days. Cover your hand as you enter the information. Theives are recording your movements from far away with the zoom lens camera capabilities.

Never let someone in your home, even it they say they have an emergency. Call for help or the police for them.

Talk with older family members, keep daily contact with them.
Stay in contact with neighbors. Watch out for your neighbors. Check on them if you haven't seen them out for awhile.

If you see someone suspicious in your neighborhood, call the police. The one time I didn't, I found out later the young man was conning for money and had an outstanding warrant. He was picked up the day after I didn't call them.

Self defense is not always physical.
Well said and so true!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 PM

In our area there was a story in our paper about a tiny, 104yr old lady. This guy rang her door bell. when she opened the door he pushed in and she grabbed his privates and twisted them hard as she could. That kept him writhing on the floor till the cops could get there. I actually never would have thought to grab there and twist. Bet it would get their attention.

I took Judo classes many years ago. Judo is throwing/grappeling techniques. You use the other persons weight against them. You get them off balance and pull them or push them as you stick out a foot.
You can also hit them in the throat hard as you can with your fist and that will leave them gasping till you can get away. You can push hard against one shoulder and at the same time kick their feet out from under them. That gives you time to get away.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM

when i'm going to the parking lot at the hospital, late at night, i dial 911 on my phone, without pressing the "call" button. that way, if something happens to me, all i have to do is push the button (twice, on my phone--to "confirm" the call). i have made sure the "location/gps" setting is on as well, so the phone can give an indication of where i was last located. always walk as though you have a destination in mind--never appear "tentative" when you are out. and although the facial bones are tough, the nose is vulnerable. heel of the hand to a nose, front and center, will damage and disable. the throat shot with the fist of side or the hand may even fracture the hyoid bone in their larynx. this is a good thing in self defense. if you have been attacked, don't even think about "reviving" them. their intent is to damage, kidnap, rob, or kill you. my intent is to keep living.

another tactic is the "crazy" approach. if you are in a situation that is dicey, if you act crazy, talk to yourself, loudly, act oddly (while in a protective mode) people give you a wide berth. very few people will mess with a crazy--the victim may be crazier than they are...

i still own the victorian hatpin my grandmother gave me for a "ladylike" self defense back when i was a teenager. i still carry it, on occasion...it's nearly invisible, and fits into a clutch purse.