Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know self defence?

My daughter and I took a self defense class and love it. I have learned alot. I am a very aware person but nothing prepared me for it. We left the studio exhausted and exhilirated. THe moves are simple but true.

Did you know that taking a newspaper and rolling it up can hurt someone? It can. By poking them in the chest or throat can slow them down and leave them gasping for air. The same goes for a walking stick or cane. NEVER SWAT OR WIP LIKE...

ALWAYS POKE! We will be going back for more! Loved the class!

Great topic! There has been ALOT more break ins here, especially out in the country.
    My Dad has always taught us seld defense, and how to shoot a gun,lol.
    I didnt know about the newspaper, but I always am ready to use my keys....

Blog Entries
    Remeber some of that from years ago. Never punch in the face, doesn't do much. If your gonna hit them, go for the sternum area, knocks the wind right out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Remeber some of that from years ago. Never punch in the face, doesn't do much. If your gonna hit them, go for the sternum area, knocks the wind right out of them.
    And the reason it doesn't do much is because the bones in the face are thick and strong. You will do more damage to your hands breaking bones than hurting the head.

Sometimes too is to for the ears too...swat them with the newspaper, magazine or stick. Their ears will be ringing and unbalance them. The instructor explained that it feels worse than an ear ache or ear infection. And that I can relate too.

My DD is 21. See needs all the advantage she can get now a days. You never know.

Walking across the parking lot I always thread my keys through my fingers. If anybody grabs you from behind all you have to do is strike back and the keys will get them--of course they have to be on your side where you are gripping your keys.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Great topic! There has been ALOT more break ins here, especially out in the country.
    My Dad has always taught us seld defense, and how to shoot a gun,lol.
    I didnt know about the newspaper, but I always am ready to use my keys....
    This too!!! But hold them like you are ready to put them in the lock. You can scratch them, poke them, stab them too. If you hold the key in between your fingers you also have a chance of hurting yourself.

I took 2 classes in college, one regular, and one ground fighting, they were both fun and challenging, especially the ground fighting one where you're pinned and have to get your attacker off of you, I just wish i remember more of it

First defence, is know what's going on around you at all times.

Stay off the cell phone while in parking lots. A cell phone is a must for anyone who drives.

Also, for single women especially, get receipts for every purchase. Using a credit-debit card can also be useful in case something bad would ever happen. Also get receipts, even for those small, less than $5 purchases, everything.

Be careful when typing in pin information these days. Cover your hand as you enter the information. Theives are recording your movements from far away with the zoom lens camera capabilities.

Never let someone in your home, even it they say they have an emergency. Call for help or the police for them.

Talk with older family members, keep daily contact with them.
    Stay in contact with neighbors. Watch out for your neighbors. Check on them if you haven't seen them out for awhile.

If you see someone suspicious in your neighborhood, call the police. The one time I didn't, I found out later the young man was conning for money and had an outstanding warrant. He was picked up the day after I didn't call them.

Self defense is not always physical.

Blog Entries
    Some, but what I learned sure did help some years ago when a guy grabbed me in a dark parking lot. I'd had some self defense lessons with police trainers, had a pro wrestler boy friend, brother was an Army unarmed hand to hand combat trainer and they all gave me some nasty ideas. Females are trained from birth to be "nice" which shaves off too many seconds to get past the "Nice" instincts.
    Plus, I was told when someone grabbed your purse, don't pull it back, whirl and head butt them if it contains your life's savings. Hurt them hard, but the best defense is to scream and run like hell. NEVER carry large amounts of cash, especially in a purse.
    Best of all, tuck your wallet in an inside pocket, add one to a jacket or vest, then you can let them have the purse and get out of there fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Some, but what I learned sure did help some years ago when a guy grabbed me in a dark parking lot. I'd had some self defense lessons with police trainers, had a pro wrestler boy friend, brother was an Army unarmed hand to hand combat trainer and they all gave me some nasty ideas. Females are trained from birth to be "nice" which shaves off too many seconds to get past the "Nice" instincts.
    Plus, I was told when someone grabbed your purse, don't pull it back, whirl and head butt them if it contains your life's savings. Hurt them hard, but the best defense is to scream and run like hell. NEVER carry large amounts of cash, especially in a purse.
    Best of all, tuck your wallet in an inside pocket, add one to a jacket or vest, then you can let them have the purse and get out of there fast.
    Good pointers!!

I took self defense and then 3 pistol classed. Now I have a conceal carry permit and feel much safer !! I work odd hours and a lot of nights so I do feel much better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I took 2 classes in college, one regular, and one ground fighting, they were both fun and challenging, especially the ground fighting one where you're pinned and have to get your attacker off of you, I just wish i remember more of it
    -------------------------
    One nasty thing to remember is that you have teeth. Army brother mentioned that about women being raped, move around till you have a good chance to "kiss" him, it will surprise him long enough to grab hold of his throat and hang on. Maybe even cut his throat, but who cares!! STAY THERE TILL HE IS ALMOST UNCONSCIOUS!! Then leave fast, perhaps kicking him in the teeth and between the legs as you go.
    And there are a few other places that are very sensitive to being hurt. It'll take his mind off rape, pretty darn fast.
    Remember those circus acts, where a woman hangs by her teeth in the air and stays there for a long time? Your mouth is
    very strong.

We got free training at work...I worked in a prison...so we had to know self-defense.

don't forget, if someone has a hand around your mouth from the back, grab just his little finger and bend back. No matter how strong he is, you are stronger than his little finger. And it HURTS, try it with a partner.

I had heard of using the key as a weapon. I also heard to scream FIRE. People will come to investigate a fire but will ignore other screams. The little finger thing does work, I used to use it on my older brothers.

I used to work evenings. Before leaving work I stopped at the cafeteria and got a big cup of hot coffee. I held it close so if necessary I could throw it on anyone who tried to attack. Served a dual purpose - got a treat on the long drive home.

Took a "Womwnstrength" courae at the Portland Police Department. There are five easy ways to completely disable an assailant. Glad I know how.

If your car keys has a panic button have your fingers on it ready to press if the need arrises. I also have a weapons permit. If all else fails, empty the clip into him!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to you and your daughter. I wish more ladies would take up this educational experience. It builds skills and confidence.

Practice with your daughter at home too and it will become second nature which is what you ultimately want.

I became skilled through the military, then as a police officer and we practiced all the time. Always be looking at your surroundings and think about weapons you have at hand. Your car key is very effective when the end is held against your palm with the key out the first two fingers. If you jab at the throat with that you will make one heck of an impression on the assailant. There is always a weapon close to hand. I really get wound up on this subject so last but not least scream rape when being attacked as it draws attention fast.

Blessings...

Blog Entries
    I have taken numerous courses on physicall self defence but as I am older now and handicapped I am not so sure I can actually defend myself physically, however I keep mentally prepared by reviewing in my mind what I was taught.. I have also been taught to yell fire because people are more likely to respond to you, pray a blessing out loud over your attacker it will distract them and if all else fails and you are being raped talk to your attacke dont ask for mercey but try to tell him jokes just try to carry on a normal conversation with him he usually will loose his desire and flee

i

i

Excuse me ladies, we are QUILTERS. We have the greatest self-defense item in the world - Rotary Cutters. They have a nice handle with a good grip. Have you ever cut your finger with one of these blades? Enough said.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have a 9mm..And at home I have 2 big dogs and my 9mm...There are also small cans of mace that you can attach to your key chain..

Lots of good info. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    My family took a self defense course years ago after my husband was beat up in broad daylight in front of us by a drug addict. When we got to the studio the instructor explained the course to us then he said OK WHat Happened. I told him and then he said. I will give you a quick course in self defense but no classes as he was afraid we would kill someone because self defense is a preventative measure not a jump and kill.

I also heard that Wasp spray (20ft) can do more harm then pepper spray? It was said that a woman living alone should keep some by bed and main room and if work in office on desk. Most people do not expect to be sprayed with it. If they get some in eye must go to hospital for care.... Have any of you heard this.. And when I worked at Mental Health the police came to teach self defence, only an afternoon class. Not as intense as yours. Proud of you and your girls as it is very impostant to know. (((hugs)))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast