Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef) >

Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef)

Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef)

Old 07-18-2018, 03:59 AM

Default Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef)

Dh & I just signed up for a food delivery service last night and I'm kind of excited. One less thing to think about, plan, and shop for. I hate going to the grocery store.
Because I work full time and we are active in our church, I want to save my time for quilting and other fun pursuits;not grocery shopping or meal planning.

Has anyone else used one of these?

Janelle
Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 AM

My daughter has used Hello Fresh when her schedule is crazy. When I was down visiting her a a couple of months ago, I prepared two meals for her using the Hello Fresh ingredients and recipes. I was very impressed with the freshness of ingredients and easy to follow recipes.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

My son and dil use one of those and it works out great for them. They both have very busy careers and used to go out to eat all the time. I think this is a nice solution for many people. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

My niece uses the free pick up gricery option. With working and 3 kids in the car, it really helps her out. I prefer to browse the grocery store myself because I like to look over my produce and meats.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Perhaps for those who have such busy lives, this may be an answer......depending on the cost (in my mind, anyway). When worked full time and had to come home and cook for family, it did take some pre planning, but like everything else in our lives, it was worth it. I enjoyed, and still do, grocery shopping...never know what one might find on sale......cooking larger meals, or several, on the weekend was, and still is a good idea. Now there's the instant pots for fast cooking, or the old standby--- crockpot.......
i personally do not know anyone who uses this type of service, so I have no first hand knowledge......may be a good alternative for some.....
Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 AM

I'll post our findings here after our box arrives next Wednesday and we cook some of the dishes. I'm excited because I think it will help get us out of a rut of cooking the same things too. We chose all dishes we had never eaten before. I love international food--the spicier the better, so I'm hoping to find some new favorite dishes. Our nearby grocery store is huge--its a Walmart Super Store--I find it takes me an hour and a half to grocery shop each week & I'm exhausted by the time I'm done. I have done the grocery pick up and that is definitely better for me than in store shopping, but so much food goes to waste in our refrigerator each week. That was the selling point for dh, he hates the waste.

Janelle
Old 07-18-2018, 07:16 AM

I have been using Home Chef for over a year. The meals are quick and easy to prepare:the quality of the produce is great: the meat grade is better than I can buy locally. We are eating a wider variety of dinners,and I’ve actually learned new ways of preparing food. We live 30 minutes from town,and are not eating out much any more. The variety of meals is amazing.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 AM

I used Plated for several months and really liked it! I did it to try some new foods and recipes, and most everything we got was really good, and the quality of the fresh produce was good. I still use some of the recipes. Both my husband and I are now on Weight watchers so discontinued Plated, but highly recommend it.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM

That is wonderful to hear, Francie. That is the company we chose to try.
I was amazed looking through the menu, at the variety they offer.

Janelle
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

We had two Blue Apron meals. They were very good but our “knife skills” are lacking so it took a very long time for us to chop etc and then complete the steps. We use an Instant Pot a lot. It is quick. Still have to shop though but I am retired and don’t mind.