Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does your home decor scream " I am a quilter"? >

does your home decor scream " I am a quilter"?

does your home decor scream " I am a quilter"?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM

You would NEVER guess a quilter lived here...you might think a hoarder or a nutty person lives here (and you might be right on both counts).
In the living/dining room of my apt; I have two machines on the table; one cabinet machine opened out and with a FW sitting on it also.....quilt in process draped on sofa; wall hangings draped on dining chairs; mags on coffee table, thread and scissors on end table.....Actually I called myself straightening up this a.m., but it will be pulled out before dark I'm sure !

If you step into my sun/sewing room you'll see ironing board that WON'T go down; small cutting table, "design" board tacked to front of bookcase; a Brother sitting in a box waiting to be sold; a Singer Athena I bought at thrift store; and step into my bedroom you'll run across ANOTHER Singer sitting in the floor between a chair and the wall.....Nah, no quilters live here !

As far as a finished quilt on display ? NONE !
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 AM

You would only know it if I happened to have just come from a LQS and the bag of goodies has not yet made it to the sewing room.
I keep almost nothing I make... once its completed I am done with it. I have a few potholders that were not gift worthy ( experiements gone wrong) that I use.
I intentionally put my studio in the basement so I can walk away and no one would ever know it there. It helps me to have it "contained". I enjoy the process so much more than the finished quilt....and typically by the time I complete a project someone has wished it was theirs .. so I give it to them.
Yes I am a quilter , but thats not all that I am , and my home reflects it.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Interesting question. I have one wallhanging in the dining room and currently I am working on a small wallhanging which will go on my front door, it is of a house and big sunflower next to it. In the windows of the house is one word, three windows...Quilts Happen Here! of course, I quilt for the public so I thought it would be a cute addition.
Michelle
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 AM

No, mine doesn't scream that a quilter lives here. Mine screams for help!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Oh yes! I don't need a sign that reads QUILTER LIVES HERE.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter
My DH made a display ladder for me and today I put it in the living room with 4 quilts on it. So now when you come in the front door you will know I'm a quilter. Now think I want a couple more display ladders for more quilts.
I would love to see a pic of your display ladder! I have been wanting one... and my husband could make it if I could tell him what I want.

Would you mind to share a pic?

Many thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM

It only does because the sewing machine and quilt stuff is right on the table when you walk through the door, small apartment no room, my dining room is my area and messy at best
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Guess at my house you can tell. I counted 13 wallhangings and that's not counting the quilts in use. lol.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Nope, mine just screams.

Until you get to the basement, I guess, and then I dominate the space, but a "guest" who makes it as far as the basement isn't a "guest" anymore!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM

No, I have one quilt draped over the loveseat and that is all. The quilt my father made for us is on our bed. Then you hit the sewing room and there is no doubt. LOL. I have given away all of my quilts that I have made but the one...I do think it is time to change this. I am enjoying reading what everyone writes, so thanks for asking and everyone for sharing.