Dog DNA testing

Old 06-19-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Dog DNA testing

Has anyone used a DNA test for their dog? My Bella is a Border Collie X by coloring but has long legs & is very slender.
After having an Aussie mix & a Lab mix I wondering what mix she maybe. Could you recommend 1 for me to try? Thanks
Old 06-19-2021, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

If you are curious, then you could use a kit but the dog won’t care. Every dog I’ve owned has been a Heinz 57 😂
Old 06-19-2021, 06:32 PM

We did it one dog we had. He looked like a lab/dachshund mix. Red, short coat, sebbed feet. short legs, long ears. The DNA test came back lab and malamute. lol
Old 06-19-2021, 07:06 PM

My g'daughter adopted a stray female puppy. She always thought Bella had some Pekingese in her. She recently had Bella's DNA tested. Sure enough, it came back Pekingese and Dachshund.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:16 PM

My girl doesn't care, she just wants to play. I'm just curious. I'd like to know if that has anything to do with her slim build.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:43 AM

My daughter did it for her 2 dogs. We were so sure the one would come back as Corgi. She has the stumpy legs, big ears - one up, one down, and a Corgi personality. Well the DNA came back as mostly Chihuahua. There’s a mix of a bunch of other breeds too. The other dog did come back as pure Jack Russell, which we assumed he was all along. So, in my opinion, it’s kind of fun to see the DNA, but I’m not sure if it’s totally accurate.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
So, in my opinion, it’s kind of fun to see the DNA, but I’m not sure if it’s totally accurate.
That exactly what I think
Old 06-21-2021, 05:47 PM

Thanks everyone. Since my Bella turn 1 she has slimmed down. Still 45# but without the winter undercoat she looks skinny. I did take her to the vet & she could gain 5# but that will be tough since she is at day care 3 mornings & that is go nonstop. Funny fur babies.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 PM

Speaking of DNA testing...

My oldest son took one of those tests. The results came back saying he was mostly a Spanish Viking with .01 percent Native American blood. In reality he is 1/4 Spanish, 3/8ths Native American and the rest is a mixture of Scot, Irish.

I thought the Spanish Viking thing was really cute....LOL
Old 06-24-2021, 06:33 AM

I did one of these because my girls got it for me as a Christmas gift. It was fun and surprising. I discovered a niece that I knew nothing about and a whole bunch of second cousins. I even made contact with 2 of them. One interesting thing was the background and I loved what that came up with. German Irish and West African. I always thought this a possibility. It was great to see it in writing. Kids thought it would be fun since I have traced our families back to across the pond.
Now when it comes to dogs. My youngest daughter is considering a DNA test for her little dog. It looks to be a full bread Manchester Terrier. She was a rescue dog and traveled many states to become her family member It will be interesting to find out.