Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dog Lovers What about Parsley >

Dog Lovers What about Parsley

Dog Lovers What about Parsley

Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM

I usually gave/give my dogs and cats veggies, and green salads, plus the cats get those little square pots of growing green stuff in grocery stores. Mine are indoor cats and love the greens, munch on them like cattle.

My dogs would go around and smell different plants and then eat some of them, which was a allowed since DH was a nurseryman and knew what was edible and what was not.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

No, but I do give Molly pumpkin which is very good for her.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM

I know garlic keeps Mosquitos from biting us if you take it consistently before a camping trip. Probably works the same with dogs. My avatar is a bichon frise and he loves brussel sprouts and greenery in the yard.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Here is a link to the site Petmd.com and a list of foods toxic to dogs...
http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/e...healthy_snacks
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 PM

I tried my lab with parsley as many of you know labs will eat anything - parsley definitely a no no she wouldn't even give it a lick so I don't know how you would give it to a dog
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
Here is a link to the site Petmd.com and a list of foods toxic to dogs...
http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/e...healthy_snacks
The people that wrote this list forgot to tell my late Chesepeake that grapes, tomatoes, fruit pits and nuts were not good or toxic for her.
She picked grapes and tomatoes off of the vines and ate them. We were lucky if we got them before she did. My late husband used to give her apple cores and she would steal the peach and plum pits if you weren't watching. He also fed her peanuts and she ate them shell and all. She was 15 when I had to let her go. I don't think any of these foods hurt her. She also ate the pinecones as soon as they fell out of the pine trees. I really miss her...

I would not however, give any of these to my 8 pound poodle.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 AM

This is what I have read about parsley for dogs. My 11 yr old lab is having some problems and I am looking for natural things to give her to help her:

Parsley in a sentence is “The one herb that will allow all systems to move at appropriate levels for optimum health without any stress-related factors.” Here is a closer look at why you should consider fresh or dried parsley, using the leaves and or seeds, in your feeding program as an additive (not in therapeutic doses for pregnant and lactating bitches–please consult your health professional in those regards). Parsley acts like an antioxidant in that it neutralizes the negative effects of the environment by eliminating toxins and maintains the elasticity of the blood vessels. It is very beneficial for the liver, digestive system, to re-boot the immune system, reduce stress levels in the endocrine system and will benefit every area of digestion.

It has diuretic qualities but does not diminish fluidity of the body, only removing excess toxins at the cellular level and at the same time it flushes the kidneys. Scientists have isolated a compound in parsley called APIOL, which is now used in medications to treat kidney ailments and kidney stones. Now as we move down to the bladder, parsley is an antispasmodic reducing the urgency to urinate as in irritable bladder syndrome, at the same time strengthening any weakness of the bladder as well as protecting the bladder from the accumulation of bladder stones. It reduces the overall stress on this system as well as a reduction of inflammation.

Since parsley has toxin removing qualities and combines with manganese which assists muscles as an antispasmodic, this allows the body to move toxins out of the muscles. Some arthritis’s are caused by an accumulation of toxins in the joints that calcify causing disease. Parsley also helps with rheumatism and gout for the same reasons as stated above.

The stomach and intestines, the large and small colon benefit from parsley as a carminative by helping to reduce as well as release cramp-producing gasses. It can aid in the expelling of tapeworms and other parasites after treatment and can be used to help remove excess mucous that was formed by the affliction while helping the intestines and stomach quickly return to normal digestion and function of elimination.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Parsley is a good herb, look here http://www.caninechronicle.com/Featu...nsey_1108.html[/quote]

Thanks for the tip and the link. I'd never thought of parsley. A breeder I know gives her dogs minced raw garlic, for worms she says. I give mine fruit, (they love a little piece of apple) and sometimes mashed cooked veges. Main meal is a mix of meat and brown rice. The vet suggested the brown rice.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 AM

There is an anti-oxidant product called Resvantage on the market for dogs. My vet is getting great results from it in older dogs and has asked me to keep my young dog on it to see how it affects overall lifespan and health. It is resveratrol packaged up for dogs by weight. Talk to your vet about that or ask what an appropriate dose of resveratrol would be and ask them how to divide the normal adult human dose.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM

my yellow lab is such a good girl, lucky for us, otherwise, she would pick tomatoes straight off the vine! both my girls (both labs, one yellow, other chocolate) love vegetables. the yellow eats almost anything though the chocolate has a sweet tooth. She will eat red pepper (not green) and others like that. My compost bucket never gets brussels sprouts, carrots, or cukes anymore. the girls get them instead!