Doggie Treats

Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM

That's the problem we have with our dog is he has been tested and is allergic to oats, barley and wheat which is the base ingredients in most dog foods and treats. Poor guy breaks out in hives so we've got to read the ingredients on everything, so far only natural jerky treats and rawhide bones seem to work for him.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Someone sent me a video the other day about chicken in china. There is a company that has 5 guys on Honda bikes go all over the place picking up dead chickens for pennies. They take these dead chickens back to their factory which is a nasty looking place like a cement slab and walls. They pick the feathers off and there is blood and waste all over the place. There several people sitting on stools to do this job. Then there chicken parts soaking in a big wok full of water. Then it shows them dying the meat a nice golden color. The next pic is the beautiful golden roasted chicken parts to serve. My DH eas looking at the dried chicken strips we give our dogs and saw that they come from china. I knew they came from china but didn't associate the color of them with the dye job in the photos. So after he put 2 and 2 together we decided not to give them to our dogs any more. There is also duck strips from china. Guess I won't give them that either. If any one else has recipes for home made I will be interested. I already copied the two that were sent in.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM

RkayD-on the liver, is that 1 pound? What temperature and length of time? I've found some recipes, but my goodness, they're almost as involved as cooking a gourmet meal for yourself. LOL I hate to cook.
-
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by selm View Post
?? - I don't understand??. I just went to the Blue Buffalo website: www.bluebuffalo.com and they state that their dog food is made in the USA. I have some Blue Buffalo treats a neighbor gave our dog at Christmas and the package says it is made in the USA(the dog hasn't been sick after eating this). I searched on "blue buffalo dog food recalls" and found none.
Could this recall be a mistake or a hoax?
They can be Made in USA and still use imported chicken from China.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 AM

I feed pepperoni or cheese . Human pepperoni and cheese that is. Mostly pepperoni .it is less expensive than dog treats !
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I feed pepperoni or cheese . Human pepperoni and cheese that is. Mostly pepperoni .it is less expensive than dog treats !
My Molly has to take Plaqueoff on her food to help prevent plaque and tartar on her teeth. Do you think pepperoni and cheese will make it more difficult to battle the plague on her teeth????
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM

I'm gonna have to try your recipe. I'm been thinking of doing my own treats for my little pups. Thanks fo sharing.

Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
I make my own dog treats.. 1 pkg beef liver 2 cups flour maybe mix in some oats to equal 2 cups..and 1-2 eggs. Mix it all together ~ I use the food processor until its just mixed and bake like cookies. My dogs LOVE these.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Tink is on a special diet due to her health. She isn't allowed any commercial treats due to some of the ingredients...also on a prescription dog food.
I take 1# of beef liver and freeze it for an hour. Then slice into small cubes. I put foil on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 min. When cool place in container and fridge.
For a dog with a small mouth, this is a very economical treat...and last about a week.