doggy no no

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM

I would say your dog is showing domination by urinating in your house, and especially when you have people over. He's showing that he is the boss, and can do what he wants. You must be firm with him, show him YOU are boss, not him, and put him outside every time he does it with a good scolding.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM

I have a male who does this! He is incorrigible! He gets me up in the middle of the night, and I let him out, but I still find evidence that he has soiled areas. I just found a new spot. Grrrr.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM

some little dogs just do it no matter what, i use puppy pads where my little dog tends to go and she still trys it 13 yrs old now. ah me
Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Most times, peeing with company is a fear or excitement response. My Aunt has a little dog that does it every time. When your company comes, you need to tell them not to make a big deal of him. Basically ignore him until he calms down, then take it slow from there. When I go in my Aunts house, Buddy gets so worked up. I have to pretend he's not there until he's calm. Even then, once I start acknowledging him, I have to go REEEEEAAALLLY slow, otherwise he just winds up again. Other than that, if he's a long-time family member and is just starting urinating about the house, something is off and disrupting his world. Pay attention, is it related to thunderstorms, loud noises, loud tv, a significant change in the household? If you can find the trigger, then you can hone in and hopefully find a solution. Of course, this is all after ruling out bladder infections or other medical conditions.
Good luck. Take him out as often as you can and remember, try not to scold him or make him feel bad about his accidents, it could cause it to get worse. If it is caused by anxiety, excitement or fear, it could cause it to spiral out of control!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Crate training is the best way, so I have heard. they wont go in the area that they sleep in so if you keep him in the crate when you can't watch him that would cut down on accidents and especially the clean up. Good luck. Beth
Old 05-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Male dogs use urine as an "ownership" tool. That said this little guy needs a fair bit of your time to get him out of this entrenched behaviour. If it is fear doing it, scolding is not a great idea, but this is what I did for my chi x (he was rescued and supposed to be about 4).
He would lift his leg constantly inside, so I put a lot of time into training him out of it:
1. Get him sterilised.
2. Establish no bladder probs with a vet trip.
3. Every time you catch him at it...."No...that's bad" and
clean the area straight away (steam or a solution of
cheap white vinegar and water, followed up by a few
drops of citrus oil (dogs hate citrus).
4. Supervised trips outside, every time he lifts his leg in
an appropriate spot use a pee word and lavish him with
praise.
This requires a big effort on your part, and he will eventually get it. My little dog is very good inside now, it just takes time, love and patience.

Oh, the vinegar and water solution neutralises all kinds of urine (people and pets), so is handy in quite a few situations.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM

To all who responded, thank you thank you