Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
From Don-isewman-Muscatine member-A subject not to quilting >

From Don-isewman-Muscatine member-A subject not to quilting

From Don-isewman-Muscatine member-A subject not to quilting

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Deployment is a wonderful time to express how much you love him and how proud you are of him.

Talk about positive things. Don't burden him with your "anticipatory grief." Find your support at home. Mission #1: support him. Mission #2: support his wife and child. #3: find someone else to support you.

Try not to compare troubles. People unknowingly do this and it leads to tension. Professional support is available. Internet, too. And, don't forget your loved ones at home. Do activities together and share the pix and stories with him (in a positive manner).

Send regular care packages. It's easy peasy but only send what he wants. Many are responsible for their garbage and it can get to be a drag. Send real honest to goodness snail mail letters. Bakemewish.com sends good birthday cakes that survive shipping to Iraq and Afghanistan just fine.

Almost everyone misses a call home. Do not beat yourself up over it. No matter how tempting. It happens all the time.

Read up on OPSEC. If you share/post uniformed pix, make sure you obscure the nametape and rank. Do not use his name. Also make sure the background is innocuous.

Make something special for him, the wife and the child. A Daddy doll? A blanket? Pour your love into it.

I promise you that time will pass quicker than you expect now. Get a wall clock for the room you're in most often and keep it set to Afghanistan time. I find this comforting. You might, too.

Remember: be positive for him and the shower is a good spot for a cry.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Don, I'm so sorry for the disappointment. I will hold you and your family in my prayers. I appreciate so very much the sacrifices our servicemen and servicewomen, as well as their families, have made for our freedom and safety.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

Don, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your son is now covered with many prayers that will go up from this group. Keep the faith and GOD Bless
Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Hugs to you and your family. You all are in my prayers and I would cry the whole time he is gone. This war has lasted far too long. And keep us posted.

Hugs, blessings and prayers!!!

Helen
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Deployment is a wonderful time to express how much you love him and how proud you are of him.

Talk about positive things. Don't burden him with your "anticipatory grief." Find your support at home. Mission #1: support him. Mission #2: support his wife and child. #3: find someone else to support you.

Try not to compare troubles. People unknowingly do this and it leads to tension. Professional support is available. Internet, too. And, don't forget your loved ones at home. Do activities together and share the pix and stories with him (in a positive manner).

Send regular care packages. It's easy peasy but only send what he wants. Many are responsible for their garbage and it can get to be a drag. Send real honest to goodness snail mail letters. Bakemewish.com sends good birthday cakes that survive shipping to Iraq and Afghanistan just fine.

Almost everyone misses a call home. Do not beat yourself up over it. No matter how tempting. It happens all the time.

Read up on OPSEC. If you share/post uniformed pix, make sure you obscure the nametape and rank. Do not use his name. Also make sure the background is innocuous.

Make something special for him, the wife and the child. A Daddy doll? A blanket? Pour your love into it.

I promise you that time will pass quicker than you expect now. Get a wall clock for the room you're in most often and keep it set to Afghanistan time. I find this comforting. You might, too.

Remember: be positive for him and the shower is a good spot for a cry.

Excellent post!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM

As a career military wife, I can tell you that you may not hear from him often, but you will hear whenever he gets the opportunity. He may not be able to tell you much, but just the contact at all is such a blessing. I know when my DH was in Egypt setting up the radio gear for the rescue of the Kohmeni (sp) hostages back when, I just was told that he was in Egypt, it was 130 degrees, and not much else till he came back and some of that was years later.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM

I am so glad we can be proud of our service people instead of the way service people were treated from the Vietnam war.
I have a nephew leaving soon plus another nephew after college is over in the spring, will be leaving.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Don, stay strong, positive and know many people here are thinking of you and yours....sending love, light and peace from the land of Aus.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Don, know that many people are in your shoes and have family in the service. We truly appreciate what they are doing for our country. I have a grand-son-in -law and a nephew both finishing their training in Ca. and Miss. and will be deployed very soon. We pray to God that they will return safely ...all of our men and women. May God bless and take care of them. You and your family are in my prayers.judylt
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Don,
Hugs and prayers to all of you; pray for the safety of all the men and women in combat around the world.
My DH was in USMC for 20 yrs, he never saw combat, but did deploy overseas for 6-10 months at a time. When my children were small both of them had their own sheet of Daddy pictures so they wouldn't forget what he looked like, especially for my DD she was just 6 months old when he left for 10 months.
Sharon W.