Donating to Charities

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 AM

For phone solicitors, I have two responses:

"I have a kidney transplant and only donate to Cleveland Clinic Foundation." (This is true)

"Do you have any idea what you just interrupted?"
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

We get the same calls. Also, I get e-mails from companies I never heard of. It tells you that if you want your name taken off the list, to "click here". I do that and you have to leave your e-mail. I'm always afraid that, when I do this, they'll send my e-mail to other organizations.

Also, when I get requests for donations in the mail, and I send one, I get requests for them about every 3 months, which makes me not want to donate to them ever again.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I write on the request ( or if they hace a phone # or fax # on the form) to remove my name from their listing.. Legally they are supposed to do so, if u verbal or in writing to remove ur name... some do , some do not...
More, than likely u will again be on everyones list..... one reason, if we choose to donate cash.. we do so in cash..... we can not afford to donate enough to tax deduct so we do not need a recp't
I donate to certain charities when I am able, but many years ago I donated to the DAV (disabled American Veterans). Ever since that one donation, I have received 'free mailing labels' from many sources. I do not feel obligated to pay for them since I have never asked for them. They are nice to have, but I haven't ever felt enough NEED to have them, to actually buy them.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Grandma Ava, my brother had a kidney transplant about 5 years ago, done at the Cleveland Clinic. The donor was his son-in-law.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by jad1044
The one that works best for me is just lay the phone down - when you hear the long ringing tone, you know they hung up and you did not waste your time listening, arguing or explaining a thing....... they don't usually call back
I feel no obligation to be polite to these people. I simply interrupt them, say I'm not interested and Hang Up.

I agree, why is it so hard to hang up? Are we afraid they will think we are rude? HEY - they are the ones who called us to ask for money, to me that is rude.

And don't forget, the mailing labels are great for giving your name and address, like when you are filling in a form for a door prize. Keep some in your purse.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:27 AM

I donate to Salvation Army and I get another request about every week. If they would save the postage.................!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM

The phone calls and mail make me feel less than charitable. My husband asks callers what % actually goes to the program or cause. By law, they have to tell you. One caller was so proud that 14% goes to the children! Can you imagine! I think some are scammers and need to get a real job.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Everyone sells your address and phone number! Did you know the post office sells your address. Ask them and you will find it true.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:06 PM

I have donated to PBS and get a call or mail every week.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Here in Australia someone is always calling to ask for money or to sell raffle tickets, I do feel sorry that worthy causes have to do this but both my hubby and I give at least $100.00 per month via direct debit to charities. I explain this to the caller, if they still persist I tell them I am the cleaning lady and the "Lady of the House" is indisposed for at least six months.