Donating to Charities

Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM

I have also heard they sell your information. I refuse to donate to any of the organizations that send a nickle or dime and ask me to send it back with more money. If they can afford to send out thousands of nickles and dimes then I figure they do not need what little money I have.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Do you have the "do not call list" on-line service in the U.S.? We have it in Canada and once you register your phone number on-line it is illegal for these companies to call you. I have registered both my home and cell phone number and haven't had a call since. It is wonderful!
May google it and see if you have something similar. Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 AM

I always check out CharityNavigator.org - they tell you how the charity spends its money and how much the top guy or gal makes. You can bet I am not supporting some charity where the CEO makes a bundle of money. Why should I support some fat cat?

I would bet the Salvation Army upper levels do not make that much. All in all, however, the Army in the US gets about 2 BILLION dollars in donations each year. With which they do a lot of good.

I refuse to donate to PBS - I figure as long as they have enough money to run Lawrence Welk over and over they don't need anything from me. Just glorified elevator music IMHO.
.I miss the old days when they had really good programming - symphonies, ballets, operas, plays, independent films. Now all they have practically is old people singing doo-wop. They have figured out exactly what the people who give the most money want to see, and that is what they show.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Yes, we have the do not call list here in the US, but a lot of companies either just ignore it or they are calling because they use an automatic dialer. It gets to where I just absolutely dread it when there is an upcoming election because we get inundated w/calls. Even if you ignore them they are still an invasion on your peace & quiet.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks for this info. I agree about not donating to "charities" that pay their big wigs tons of money.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM

I used to live in NH, ever since I moved to VT we have got tons of calls that are surveys. Not selling anything, real surveys. From what I think of BGH in milk, to how I feel about the VT court system, you name it.
Of course they never offer to pay for my time...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
Yes, we have the do not call list here in the US, but a lot of companies either just ignore it or they are calling because they use an automatic dialer. It gets to where I just absolutely dread it when there is an upcoming election because we get inundated w/calls. Even if you ignore them they are still an invasion on your peace & quiet.
That's lousy that you still get the calls. We just have to phone and report the company/charity if they do call and they will get a fine.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
I'm hoping to get some feedback re: a situation that I have found myself in. Last yr I donated money to both the Salvation Army and the March of Dimes. Over the past few months I have been absolutely inundated with solications from every well known charity known to mankind. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else & if someone knows of a way to get my name removed from whatever source they are getting this info from. It has really taken the joy out of my original donations! Obviously one of these charities (or maybe both of them) sold my info to the rest and this just really offends me. This yr I plan on making a donation to my local PBS station and I sure hope this doesn't open another floodgate of solications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
PBS doesn't share your info. In fact it sends its own program infornation over the internet.
I think the Salvation Army does not share either, or they ask first.
But March of dimes does. They are so large the lists are a valuable commodity.
Usually charities ask if they can share.

Jeannie
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM

We have a selected few charities that we donate to. We get lots of other solicitations in the mail, but just toss them without opening. If the charities we do donate to ask too often, we toss that request too and just wait for the next one.

As to the phone, I just interrupt and say I'm not interested. Most of them will keep talking anway, when they do I just hang up. It's my time, my dinner getting cold, and my husband who's getting aggravated because yet another soliciter has called.