Donut Bed Question Please

Old 02-15-2023, 11:01 AM

Default Donut Bed Question Please

I would really like to hear your comments, I always get such helpful ideas from all of you.

Hi All, I make things for cat shelters and rescues (some dogs as well), mostly square and rectangular mats but wanted to try a donut bed. I really liked the way it came out (the picture is a tester, so I didn't use the nicest fleece). When I washed and dried it the first time (I wanted to see how it would come out) it looked fine, but when I washed and dried it again it got a little lumpy....I stuffed it with polyfil. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what I can do about that. I didn't stuff it a lot because I read it is not as comfortable for a pet when polyfil is stuffed tight (and it might be harder to sew it closed).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as always. I wish I could come up with cooler ideas instead of just the same old mats. Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails donutblue.jpeg  
Old 02-15-2023, 01:13 PM

Hmmmm . . . I'm not sure what you could do differently. I really like that bed though. My dogs love those little round beds. I'll have to check when I get home, but I think that theirs are stuffed fuller around the edge and the bottom is possible sheets of poly. I'm not really sure.

Would you be willing to share how you made it? I can always use another dog bed and If I could make them it would be even better.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:43 PM

Hi Cashs Mom, this is the tutorial I used except I put a piece of batting in the center instead of polyfil. I hope you can access this.

Please let me know if the one you have at home is stuffed fuller. Thanks.

(58) #DIY Cat Bed | Tutorial - YouTube
Old 02-15-2023, 03:07 PM

Can you sew vertical channels into the donut part? Then stuff each channel and stitch to the round bottom.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:24 PM

Hi Rhonda K, let me see, I am not sure but I will check it out, great idea. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:12 PM

I just looked at the ones I have at home that were commercially made. The edge or donut part do seem to be a bit fuller and the center feels more like it's a cushion than poly fil. I haven't washed mine a lot so i don't know how they do. I'll have to do that this weekend and get back to you.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

Polyester fill always mats and gets hard with washing. I find that foam chips work better for stuffing that stays soft.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

That looks great! I think the 'donut' part makes a little wall the pup or cat can snuggle up against. Thanks for the link to the tute.