Downgrading -

Old 05-16-2018, 04:29 AM

Hi there, my very first purchase was embroidery machine with bells and whistles in the beginning I just used the sewing function, then a few years ago I went to a 3-day event and learned in-the-hoop and feel in love with this process and it jump started me to want more out of my embroidery machine. Know I embroidery all the time and I am attending Embroidery Camp this July to learn even more.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 AM

I did that with a serger. Just didn't use it enough, so traded it in on a Pfaff that had multiple stitches with the IDT.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM

I do have embroidery machine , I use to embroidery a lot then got in to quilting. I embroidery some , my Amish friends love it when Christmas comes . I always embroidery something for them . as I was saying I 'm longarm quilter
now and loving it . The embroidering is boring you have to keep a eye on it . When you walk away it will *&#^
Old 05-16-2018, 04:08 PM

I bought the Brothers INNOVA IS 2000. I use it all of the time. Talk about stitches, wow! This machine will sew sideways. You read it right!!! It will sew sideways. However, it sews sideways very slowly so have not used it much but love that I may if I want to.

I still have my Brothers machine that I bought in 1959. All metal and still sews. Cannot get rid of it. It was such a luxury at the time. I was a single mom of 3 children and worked full time with no child support. I had to have clothes for my office job so I spent my tax return money on it ($150.00). I made my work clothes and, at that time, it was much less money to sew than to buy. Today, that is not always the case.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

I bought a Bernina 765 a year ago and then bought the embroidery unit just 3 months ago. The machine is beautiful and sews a perfect stitch but now I am thinking of selling both. I want to buy the Juki TL 2010q because all I do is piece quilts. It was a bad decision on my part to purchase the Bernina at my age...71. I will never use all the features on it and have only done one embroidery. I wasn't sure if I would like doing embroidery and I was right. I just want to piece quilts and maybe do some FMQ and I can do that with the Juki. I also have a Bernina 350PE for my class room machine and I love it. It's not as intimidating as the Bernina 765. Lesson learned. Can someone please tell me the best place to advertise my 765 and embroidery unit. I'm not sure Craigs List is the best place.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I purchased several machines through CraigsList.

I did make lower offers than the advertised prices - and I expect that people doing so is fairly usual - some offers were accepted - some were not. I do not need another machine, but - - - -

One machine was delivered to my home, one I picked up at the advertiser's home, one we met at McDonald's in Southtown.

The plus side of Craigslist is that the machine did not have to be packed for shipping. I did pay for one of the machines via PayPal - I used the lady's computer at her home - the other purchases were cash.

The most I paid was $600 and the least I paid was $25.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I could kick myself all around the room for buying my Janome 8900.
if you'd like to give it away to a loving home, i can send you my address!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingbythelake View Post
I bought a Bernina 765 a year ago and then bought the embroidery unit just 3 months ago. The machine is beautiful and sews a perfect stitch but now I am thinking of selling both. I want to buy the Juki TL 2010q because all I do is piece quilts. It was a bad decision on my part to purchase the Bernina at my age...71. I will never use all the features on it and have only done one embroidery. I wasn't sure if I would like doing embroidery and I was right. I just want to piece quilts and maybe do some FMQ and I can do that with the Juki. I also have a Bernina 350PE for my class room machine and I love it. It's not as intimidating as the Bernina 765. Lesson learned. Can someone please tell me the best place to advertise my 765 and embroidery unit. I'm not sure Craigs List is the best place.
Craig's List would be the last place I'd sell a new Bernina. Those people are looking for a bargain.
If it were me I'd sell it on Ebay.
As to the Juki- yes, that's a great machine. I have it and love it.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I like the way embroidery machines work. At quilt shows I'll stop and watch them. I have no desire to actually do it. Sort of like a computerized long arm. Fun to watch, not for me to do. My "best" machine is my used Brother PQ 1500. Straight stitch. I love it. I have another Brother mechanical XR 52 from Costco a while back that honestly will sew through anything and do FMQ. Small area though. I have sewn fur, fleece, bags, etc. Not a skipped stitch. It has a few decorative stitches. I use a few of them. I have another Brother, electronic, one of the lower end Project Runway that is lighter than the XR-52 and I take that to the quilting groups. I have several vintage machines, and they are fine, but, I'm really happy with my Brothers. No desire for anything else at the moment.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 PM

I adore my Pfaff Precision 5.0. She is an absolute darling!! I never thought that I would have need of a machine without built in dual feed--but--I was given a bag of HST cut-offs. (I get the feeling that the person who gifted them to me may be fishing for a returned article using her scraps. She knows that I have done it before,for another sewing group member, as a thank you. Not a real problem for m in this case, because she is such a prolific provider to several of our charities. Plus she makes such beautiful tops that I feel sort of honoured that she would maybe-sort-of-hope that I make something for her. Nothing was said about expectations but you know I'll do something--probably a schlep bag because she is a knitting fiend. Just don't tell her. Ok? )

But I digress. Sewing these small (1 3/4 inch trimmed) HST's just did not work with my Pfaff. She kept wanting to eat the beginning points even when I used the single needle hole and when I used a leader. I finally went back to my second machine--a Janome 4900--and all she needed was a leader. After that she whipped thru those HST's without a single problem.

I am lucky enough to have two very very nice modern machines.