Downgrading -

Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Default Downgrading -

I have a friend that bought an embroidery machine - she embroidered a bunch of aprons for her garden club - and then decided that embroidering was boooorrrriiiinnng - and sold the machine to her sister and bought the non-embroidery version of the same brand of machine for herself.

Have any of you ever bought a machine with "all" the bells/whistles/features available - and then end up using a "simpler/less complicated" machine for most of your sewing?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:40 AM

Yes I have. I am simply a quilter and I don't need all those bells and whistles. I bought a Viking Sapphire and am still not sure why. I love my Featherweight!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 AM

I could kick myself all around the room for buying my Janome 8900. I'd spent 3 years away from home caring for my father in law through dementia. I wanted to do something good for myself. And I'd loved my previous high end Janome.
Not taking into account I was no longer the girl of the 90s doing art quilts and using all the features. I use my machine for patchwork. I could have just pulled out my featherweight. So a mental downgrade

I do love the lights and the thread cutter and the smooth running. But I certainly didn't need it.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 AM
DJ

I'd have to answer probably not. Although when making a recent tote bag, my new, smarter machine kept telling me the material was too thick and refused to sew through it. I got out my older machine which wasn't smart enough to know the fabric was too thick, and it sewed it just fine! LOL
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I'd have to answer probably not. Although when making a recent tote bag, my new, smarter machine kept telling me the material was too thick and refused to sew through it. I got out my older machine which wasn't smart enough to know the fabric was too thick, and it sewed it just fine! LOL

Well, good to know I'm not the only one with a "smart aleck" machine that refuses to sew thru thickness.....thank giodness for my old Viking, would sew thru railroad ties if I asked it! And to think I paid for the aggravation!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 AM

I have no retreats at all. I purchased my Janome 11000 as a demo machine and love her to bits. I have not done any embroidery in a few years, but like having the options available. The needle threader, buttonholed etc, are such an upgrade over my 1980’s Kenmore.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I have a fancy Bernina but I really don't use most of the functions. It's a great machine though and I have no regrets buying it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM

I have a fancy Brother and while I haven't used all the features yet, I plan my quilts so that I can use them all!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM

I started with a Bernina 750 but at the time did not get the embroidery attachment. I used lots of the features. Last year I decided I wanted to embroider so I was able to trade it in and get the 880 with the embroidery attachment. I may not use every feature now, but my curiosity and knowledge keep me exploring. As I grow in skill I don't have to worry that what I want to do is unavailable. I don't regret it for a second.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Yes. I bought a fancy Viking several years ago and didn't use the fancy stuff. I used it until the feed dogs decided not to work. I called around to get it fixed and it was going to cost a fortune because it was a fancy machine. I bought a heavy duty mechanical Singer from Walmart. Cheap and regular and I love it. It just keeps on ticking!!