Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dress Question #2...Markings >

Dress Question #2...Markings

Dress Question #2...Markings

Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 AM

I've sewn for years, I always cut notches out. How I mark the fabric depends on the fabric and what I'm marking.. Most of the time I make tailor's tacks you take a couple of little stitches (I use and x) and leave loops, then when I take the pieces apart to stitch (like on darts) I snip between the layers and both are marked. I always pin pattern to fabric because when you move the fabric to cut it, the bottom layer can shift and then your cutting will not be accurate if they are not secured together. If you're wanting to start sewing as a regular thing, clothes wise, I would get the basic sewing book by Vogue. I'm sure you could pick one up at a 2nd hand book store. Their directions are excellent and timeless.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I forgot - what are you making?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM

I just mark the notch with a fabric marking pen like for quilting, a little triangle usually. I don't use tracing paper either. If I need to mark something I just put my fingernal where the mark is, lift up the pattern, and mark it with a pen.

Like someone said, unless it's a dart or something the marks are usually just guides to line up when sewing pieces together.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM

I've sewn for years, I always cut notches out. How I mark the fabric depends on the fabric and what I'm marking.. Most of the time I make tailor's tacks you take a couple of little stitches (I use and x) and leave loops, then when I take the pieces apart to stitch (like on darts) I snip between the layers and both are marked. Tippy
I have too. I just snip in the notches,,do not cut them out. For all other markings,take a needle and thread of a bright noticable color ( do not knot) and mark (with an X is good) leaving a tail to pull out later,
I have always found that if you are making fashion clothing that it is easier to do alterations on ready made clothing, especially if you are hard to fit.
good Luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM

How is the dress coming?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM

I went to my mother-in-laws after work today and she help me cut the pieces for the dress and told me what the symbols were for and how to work with them. I'll guess I'll try to sew some tonight and hope they come out the way they are supposed to. I still have to cut out the pieces for the cap and scarf. I'll post some pics when I get some of it done.

I just want to thank you all for your help. I'm a visual learner, so actually seeing what needed to be done has helped. I think I can handle the rest of it, so we'll see. I know I'll have more questions once I get further along. Thank you all so much for your patience and support with my endevor.