Dumb Questions

Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 AM

I agree about the dumb questions and I think the doctors ask some of the most.

Years ago out of the blue I had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital; they ran scans and could find nothing wrong. They told me to follow up with my regular medical care. The next day I called the clinic and set up an appointment. The doctor walked in and the first words out of his mouth was; why did you have a seizure. I just looked at him for a moment and then said "it was my husband's birthday and I hadn't given him a present and had nothing better to do" when she looked at me funny I said "if I knew why I had a seizure I wouldn't have came to see her"

The other one is when they want you tell them what level the pain it; that makes no difference since we all handle it at different amounts. What's a 10 to me could be a 1 to you and so on. I actually told the doc that once and he agreed; if I'm in pain enough to come and see a doctor then check it out.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

All good ones. One of my sons years ago was doing an Eagle scout project where he was going to paint house numbers on curbs with stencils. Free. He rang door bells to get permission. Mostly got it. His pitch was " I am doing my Eagle Scout Project and for free, at no cost to you...". Several people said, no thanks, we can't afford it. Or no, it is too expensive, or, how much will it cost? What? We practiced with him and he was very clear in his offer. We got some laughs from this.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 AM

i worked in a bookstore. i wore a shirt with the store's name on the front and the back. i wore a name tag with the store's name and my name and "How may i Help You". and i carried 14 copies of the same book in my arms, or i was on the floor rearranging books on shelves, and still people asked me. "Do you work here?" i wanted to say no and walk away. but despite their foolishness i liked working there. one lady came hurrying in and it was a VERY large store, and she stopped about in the middle, looked all around her, and made a bee-line for me. i was in the farthest corner in the children's section. she asked me if we had any for children. and i said, yes ma'am (it was in TX, we always say ma'am, or sir) and waved my arms to indicate either side of me. and she said. well.... where are they? so obviously, i wasn't sure now what she wanted, so i said, i'm sorry ma'am, what kind are you looking for? and she said, you know, for children's bedrooms. i had to think for a minute, and then i thought, she must be a decorator and just wants books that look pretty on the built in shelves for display. so i asked her what color, and she said, oh, bears, mostly.
i'm thinking this shopping trip is not going well because obviously i have not figured out what books she wants specifically. so right to the point, i say, so you're looking for books about bears?! and she yells at me BOOKS!? BOOKS?! why the h$%% would i come into a wallpaper and borders store looking for BOOKS?!!? , in her loudest voice
all is now clear. she has walked 100 feet into a store with over 200,000 different titles and 20' tall Red LIT UP LETTERS ON THE FRONT and has yet to realize that she is in BORDERS BOOKS and MUSIC STORE. which i tried to be diplomatic in pointing out to her. but it took 10 minutes of serious laughing in the staff room before i could resume work stocking all that 'wallpaper' for the rest of the day. i'm not always sure it is the question that is stupid.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 AM

Reminds me of Bill Ingvall's "Here's your sign!"
Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM

These sound like my hubby for real. He always says why did you do that? It does not matter whether I have just dropped the jar of jelly or I have sorted laundry on the floor.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM

i agree with the one about drs. i went with a friend who has one leg and is in a wheelchair. we waited in the exam room , the dr walked in reading her chart looked up, and said," why are you in a wheelchair." i raised my hand and said " ooo, ooo, i know this one! can i answer?" ( like horshak in welcome come back, mr kotter). my friend said, "uh, because i only have one leg?" then for the first time the dr actually looked at her. he was so embarrassed. and yes, he WAS a brain surgeon, so sometimes, even tho' it takes one, it doesn't help! lol
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM

And yet another one.....In the bathroom, the water is running for the shower.....DH YELLS through closed door, "Are you in the shower?".....here's your sign.....