Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dyson? or Shark?

Blog Entries

Dyson? or Shark?

Hello friends... so here's the deal... I have old hardwood floors (which I love) with a few rugs... one old Beagle and one adolescent yellow Lab (both of whom I also love, despite the MOUNTAINS of hair they shed). I need a new vacuum and I'm leaning toward a bagless unit. I have stairs with a carpet runner which collects unbeLIEVable quantities of dog hair.... sigh... Both brands have a removable canister I can use on the stairs... both are for multiple surfaces... both promote usefulness with pets... the COST is significantly different!!

Do any of you have experiences with these you'd like to share? I'd really appreciate any insight you can offer?! THANK YOU!!!!

needing to vacuum in dusty (extreme drought) western Oklahoma....
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

my Kenmore was better (bagged) than Dyson animal or Shark these were canisters . Dyson not strong suction. Shark the the dustbin handle in bad place and would spill . Kenmore canisters for me the others were a big wast of money .

I have the Shark Rotator and love it. I have a cat and it picks up the cat hair really well. I was amazed at the difference in it and my old vacuum when I got it. It's easy to use, easy to empty the dirt collector and can be used as a canister, upright or separated into one you can carry around. And it came it several attachments, even a powered one for furniture.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I love my Shark. I have one upstairs, one for the basement. I don't have pets so can't relate to pet hair but I have a hairy husband! It does a good job on the hardwood floors and area rugs. It's light weight, swivels for easy manuvering, and it's easy to empty the bagless canister. I'm always amazed that it's sucked up that much dust from my floors.
    Lori

I have a beagle too - I love him but he sheds so much sometimes I think there must be an extra beagle hiding in the house somewhere! I bought a Dyson a few months ago and it works great. Has way more suction than any vacuum cleaner I have had. ( my last one was a Kenmore with bags) Having said that, I like the Dyson a lot but I think they are WAY overpriced!

Blog Entries
    I have 2 dogs that shed a ton and I love my Shark
    Patski
    always learning

I have a Dyson and really like it. I have 7 cats so it gets used a lot -- the cat hair that I pick up daily is amazing. It also seems to clean deep -- I get a lot of fine dust up every time I clean. It will be interesting to see what the pad and the floor look like when we replace the carpet.

Blog Entries
    My Dad had an Oreck-lasted 2 yrs. Then he got a Dyson I should say he got 3 Dyson lemons in less then 6 months. They did give him his money back and now he has a Shark. -he loves all the ''cool'' attachments. I have used it and if I was ever to have a house full of carpet again I'd get a Shark. They maneuver so much better then his Dyson's did. He has the original rug from when the house was built in 1930. I shampooed it last May -part of spring cleaning- and it does not look like it needs shampooed yet.

I have the dyson animal vacuum. I love it. It picks up dog hair and cat hair great!

I love my Dirt Devil for pets ! It really picks up the dog hair (corgi). While "bagless" is dirty to me, and thisone is bag-less...for the $89.00 I paid at Walmart, it just continues to perform!! It amazes me!

I had a Hoover WindTunnel (bags) that I loved to the end.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I love my Dyson for animals.....it picks up hair and with 2 long hair dogs that's a lot!! The suction of the Dyson is amazing.
    I also bought a Roomba pet series and it picks up the hair and does a great job too! On days that I am away I leave Robert (roomba) to do my vacuuming for me )
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I purchased a refurbished Oreck upright a couple of months ago. It is not bagless but works wonders picking up dog hair (i have 3)
    Carmen E.

I have the Dyson animal and I love it. Great suction and I like not having to buy bags all the time.
    I have two dogs and two African Grey birds with lots of feathers and the Dyson handles it all without an issue.
    I have had the Dyson for 8 years without a problem. If it ever needs replacing I would get another Dyson.
    I have tried too many other vacuums and they didn't handle all the feathers and fur worth a hoot.

I think they're both about equal but I have a Shark I swear by compared to daughter's Dyson...love mine more! And it was way cheaper, seems to have more suction power.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Consumer Reports never gives the Dyson very good reviews. Plus, they're way overpriced.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I have a shark works good but cannot get the head open to clean hair off the roller so burned my first one up they did send another I had to pay shipping but must turn upside down at least once a month and really work with scissors and whatever to keep the roller brush clean of hair and threads

I have had small Shark vac and several of their hand vacs. Like them very much, only issue is getting replacement filters which have to be ordered through the company. My neighbor had a Dyson to deal with multiple animals and was not satisfied with it. Replaced with Miele. Personally I prefer a model with a bag as the animal hair flies everywhere when emptying canister. I now have a Miele upright and it's great. Still use my old Shark in the basement.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have a dyson and 4 dogs and 4 cats. I LOVE my dyson. and I know what you mean about hair on the stairs. a daily chore. But-easily sucked away with the dyson. I have no experience with a shark to compare it to.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

I love my Dyson but it's not easy on stairs. The Shark sounds good too. Good Luck.

The Shark has a smaller pet brush (with the rotating brush). It works great on the stairs or under the bed (if it's carpet under there).
    Lori

I'm thinking I need a new vac and the Shark sounds good. Apparently there are different models (haven't researched them yet)....which are the ones you who have one, like best? TIA!!

I have two dyson's a cylinder and an upright, both the animal version. I have two German Shedders and both work great on the hair. The cylinder version is easier to manoeuvre on stairs, apart from that not much between them. The cylinder model is 12 years old and is as powerful as the day it eas bought.

I have two Dysons. One is the big purple one we got when we had the big hairy German Shepherd. It worked very well for years with all that hair that never stopped. After he went to doggie heaven, I got myself the Dyson slim which is cordless. It goes all over my house without needing recharging and it is small but strong enough to get up whatever mess Mr. Stitchnripper and I make. Sometimes just for fun we will run the big one. It brings back memories of the dog. I have never had a Shark so can't comment on that.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I have a Dyson and really like it. I have 7 cats so it gets used a lot -- the cat hair that I pick up daily is amazing. It also seems to clean deep -- I get a lot of fine dust up every time I clean. It will be interesting to see what the pad and the floor look like when we replace the carpet.
    When you replace the carpet - don't be shocked!! Not everything under there came from above. We had ours done several years ago and I was so embarrassed to think that all of that worked its way down. Then DH found an old empty cigarette pack and we realized that some of that (I went with the all of that) was there when they laid the carpet. It's funny because we bought our house new (many, many years ago) and could remember a sound when we walked on a certain spot in the carpet but it went away pretty quickly and we thought it was our imagination.

I bought a Dyson about six months ago, it cleans wonderful but I have RA and it is much to heavy for me and I have a very hard time using it. I very much wish I had bought the Shark. My DD has the Shark and the one she has is much lighter and easier to use and cleans just as well as my Dyson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast