Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Readers

Do any of you have one of these? What brand and what do you like and not like? I want one as I read a lot. At the library they offer downloads that you can get for free. But I'm far from a "techie". Please let me know your thoughts. TIA Pippi65

Hi Pippi, I have a kindle. I love it, You can download books anwhere. You don't have to be connected to the computer. I liked mine so much we bought my hubby one also. Also this one has lots of memory, so it holds lots of books. One of my girlfriends has an older model and she loves that one too. Barns and Noble has one called the nook. I have heard lots of good stuff about that one too. Hope that helps

Blog Entries
    I really enjoy reading a book but my DBF was so excited one year b/c he found something for me that would be a real surprise. It was an E-Reader. I like books b/c if I buy I pass around to mom, sister, SIL's, people at work. However, when I'm traveling it is easier to take the E-reader b/c it's small and convenient.
    I really think they are great for cookbooks or quiltbooks because you can take them with you and have the ingredients for dinner or a quilt project right at your finger tips and won't forget anything. I haven't actually done that yet but do think it's a great idea.
    Thanks for the tip on libraries and e-books. I'll have to find out if my library does that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi65
    Do any of you have one of these? What brand and what do you like and not like? I want one as I read a lot. At the library they offer downloads that you can get for free. But I'm far from a "techie". Please let me know your thoughts. TIA Pippi65
    If you want to try out the different versions, I know that at least Kindle and Nook software can be downloaded for free to your computer. there are thousands of free books that can be downloaded as well.

Senior Member Blue's quilting mama's Avatar
    Be sure you check with your library, because ours says that it won't work on a Kindle, and maybe not on some of the others....just an idea, if you can read the ebooks for free from the library, and not have to buy them...

Blog Entries
    I have Nookcolor and I love it. The software just upgraded too - you can send/receive emails. I can also download books from the library.
    Also, it is great to read magazines because you get to see the pictures in color. Several of my friends like the nook color because of the children books - they can see the illustrations in color.

Love my Kindle. my son has one, my niece, all my friends
    I have read on the nook and the ereader (sonys brand I think) and a girl I work with has a Kobe.
    I think the kindle by far is the best. Good luck in your search. My advice is go online and look at the reviews and options they have. I searched and read the internet for weeks before I bought my kindle. That was about 3 yrs ago. I have read on it almost everyday since. Tons of free books out there. and if you dont like the way a pdf file reads on the kindle.. you only have to email the file to kindle and they will send it back in kindle format for free.
    I have said many times. If my kindle breaks I would by another one that same day. They now sell them at several retail stores. Good Luck

small town between Baltimore/Annapolis MD
    I got the NookColor for Christmas. I like it a lot. Too bad I'm not very tech savy as I have not figured out how to download free from the public library. :(

I have the iPad, and can get both the kindle app and the nook app, among other things. I use the nook app more then the kindle one though

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have a Kindle and love it!!
    But I've heard great things about the Nook as well. Mine was a gift from my sweet son. He loves his Kindle so he bought me that brand.
    I download from the library also.
    Still love regular books but Kindles, and the others are very convenient.
    Let us know what you get!

I prefer to use the nook ap (Barnes & Noble E-Reader) on my smart phone. I don't carry a purse and would rather not have to carry around one more thing. I have to flip through more pages than I would on a real E-Reader but a real E-Reader doesn't fit in my pocket. Also, I've all ready paid for my phone so I don't have to buy another gadget & can spend more money on fabric!

The one thing that really irks me about all e-books is the price. Why on earth do I have to pay more than paperback price and in some instances--more than hard cover price for an ebook that I can't even give away! That makes no sense to me. At least I can gather up my paper backs and trade them 2 for 1 at the local book store but e-books, except for Barnes & Noble's "lend me" feature which is still annoying, cost more! I do scarf up any and all free e-books and others that are less than $5 if it's an author or subject that I really enjoy and gets decent reviews.

Blog Entries
    I have the $139 version of the kindle. I check Amazon daily for free ebooks. I love it!!!!! I read it every night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue's quilting mama
    Be sure you check with your library, because ours says that it won't work on a Kindle, and maybe not on some of the others....just an idea, if you can read the ebooks for free from the library, and not have to buy them...
    My DH & I both have Kindles. You can download so many books and there are quite a lot that are free -- go to Pixels of Ink.com and sign up. You get a notice every day of free and/or inexpensive books. Also Kindle will be paring up the librarys very soon. My son works for Amazon so I have a little inside scoop.

Love my Kindle!

Hi ! I've got a Kindle too and I love it, love it, love it! I got one for my daughter first and after seeing what it could do, I had to have one for myself. Nothing will ever replace the feel and smell of a real book, but this gadget lets you carry a whole library and sure takes up a lot less room! Judy in Alabama

I have Nook (b&w, not color). I love it! I can share some books with a friend (you can share a book once) and I am able to *borrow* e-books from my public library. I highly suggest an e-reader of any kind...I love being able to take it with me when I travel istead of lugging books with me. As far as my Nook goes, I am very happy with it.

I have an IPad and love it. I use IBooks and Kindle. I bought my mom a Kindle for Christmas and set it up as mine with my password and all, so when I buy a book or download a free book I can also put it on her Kindle, only one charge.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned before, check with your library. Our lirary service does not currently support Kindle, but will by the end of the year.

At our library you digitally check the book out and it vanishes from your e-reader after 14 days. Typically you can renew it 2 times.

Thank you all so much. I see there's a lot of choices!! And I've got my work cut out for me.

One thing to note is that the kindle ( which I have and LOVE) is e-ink...meaning, it's not backlit. This means, that while you need a light of some sort to read in the dark, you can also read on this device outdoors. From what I understand, most of the others are like my cell phone...go into the sunshine and you can't see the screen.

I love my Kobo, and I use Calibre to load books onto it - many for free.

Ipad here. I like it for all the other things you can do on it. It is pricey though.

The only ereader that you can download from the library (at least in my area) is the Sony Ereader. I have the Pocket PRS-350. I LOVE it. You can even get some free books from the Sony Reader store. I read alot, but I read even more now that I have my reader. Just so you know, my reader does not have Wifi, which means that I have to download the books to my computer and then load them on my reader. The next version up has wifi. I didn't want that because I didn't want to be tempted to impulse buy. This way, I have to get home and go online. That gives me time to think about whether I want to spend the money. Good luck.

I have the nook and absolutely love it. I read so much more since I don't have to carry a heavy book around. Highly recommend the nook. I recently purchased the SONY pocket ereader to carry in my purse, but prefer the nook

My DH just gave me a color Nook for my birthday, and I love it. I chose the Nook because it can download books from the library (for free!) so I can save my $$$ for fabric!
    Sally

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast