E-Readers

Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Did you call your library. Maybe they can help you. I called mine awhile ago and they said thy would have the books by the holidays but i didn't realize they were available already.I haave so many books downloaded I don't need any but I will call them and maybe place a hold on a book I want to read. I heard some libraries do have waiting lists.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM

everytime I go to get a book from my library they are on hold. I finally gave up on the library and just try to find them on the internet somewhere.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Can somebody please tell me about the ebook libraries?

I downloaded the Overdrive.com yesterday - am a little confused - but anything to do with libraries seem to come back to our local which everything is "checked out" and with a long waiting list (on hold). Is there something I am not doing right? or is there another kind of Ebook Library?

Thanks so much for your help. I have a Kindle and have been downloading books from them - but the library idea has me intrigued.

Marysewfun
Mary,
E-Books have become so popular that it gets harder and harder to get them from your e-library. Overdrive is the software that is used to download the books to your E-reader. Each library owns a certain number of copies. If your library has lent out all theirs, they can put you on a waiting list. The best part about that is even tho it looks long they will notify you when it is available. You then have a set amount of time to download it. It will delete at the end of the loan time. In the meantime look for older books by authors that you like and download free books from the internet, like B&N free fridays.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM

I have the Kindle and love it..also you can go to amazon and get free downloads, I have already downloaded 488 books for free...
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks everyone for your great replies. I wondered about the kindle myself.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM

here is a link about the new Fire Kindle. This one sounds pretty good but I have also read bad reviews too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ice-Apple.html
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Wow - I had never thought about limitations on the number of copies, guess I just imagined an E-Book floating around out there. I was surprised re checking the library about all the "holds" on everything but when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. Yes I do download my books at present from Amazon (Kindle) and am very happy with it - just thought this library thing sounded good, too!

Thank you for getting back to me (here and by PM)

Marysewfun
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by verna2197
here is a link about the new Fire Kindle. This one sounds pretty good but I have also read bad reviews too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ice-Apple.html
I sometimes take a "wait and see" when something comes out - to let some/any bugs get worked out. I read somewhere that not everybody is for the "touch screen" system - have never tried it. I did read that the new Windows 8 due out next year is supposed to have a "touch screen" application - - - hmm, not going to retire my mouse just yet.

Marysewfun :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by verna2197
Tell me do any of these allow games?
The NookColor has games and I know that they have just made a bunch more apps available and some are games. I'm not into games so can't tell you any more about them.
the nook color has alot of games and more to come. I have only a very few; Angry Birds, Ms PacMan, solitare, spider, soduko, crossword, chess. Check out Barnes and Nobles site under thier apps to see what all it has. I use mine as a personal organizer; you don't have to be connected to the pc to update your scedule or bills, notes, etc. they have lots of magazines that you can download for 14 days for free and you only buy the mag by month so you can cancel anytime and have only paid for the ones you want. I stop and start my subscriptions as I find a magazine that I want for a certain month. It has a lot to offer.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 AM

I really want an I-Pad, but in the meantime, until I can afford one, my son got me a Nook that had been used about 8 times for next to nothing...a black and white, not color, but I am ok with that for now. (He is 21...and so proud of himself getting this for me...an early Christmas present...he couldn't wait!)
I have downloaded lots of free books, read a few so far, great for when traveling, or wait time as I keep it in my purse, even read books during break on it, and I also downloaded the Nook for PC app...so on my computer everything does show up in color...so for now, I will be happy with what I have.
Will have to visit my library and see what they offer that I can download to my Nook.